Railroad Jinties

The old Tri-ang locos had wipers (0-6-0 etc) to both running wheels on the insulated side. If one of the wipers failed then there would be sparking on the two crank-pins and connecting rod bearing/rubbing points. That spelled trouble!

If the wiper on your loco is bearing part on the metal rim and part on the plastic then it is a very poor design. If I had that problem and wanted to fix it rather than demanding my money back I imagine I would place the wheelset in the lathe and sand the plastic until it was marginally below the level of the metal rim. Consideration would need to be given as to how secure the rim was on the wheel center as such sanding would be useless if the rim could move in relation to the plastic center.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

As Hornby's own sales pitch states :-

The Hornby RailRoad range =96 The first steps to modelling railways.

The problem of badly worn gears has not been answered yet.

I bought an un-boxed Jinty that was DCC ready about 18 months ago. It had never run smoothly with or without DCC. An inspection of the gears showed a fair amount of play. It now runs OK

Reply to
Dragon Heart