Rather splendid layout!

It's the 10,000 quid toy article - 6 inch guge - set up in his ballroom. Pics are a bit grainy and no track plan as such but it looks like it was a lot of fun.

Sigh

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

There are some other interesting features on that page, taken from an 1898 magazine.

Note the description of the carriages on the passenger train. Two of them were corridor carriages, and were equipped with "the proper extending covered ways." Not a particularly complex layout, and only two live steam trains, but occupying a large area of 90' x 30' at a scale of about 1:10.

£10,000 was an awful lot of money in 1898, probably equivalent to well over a million today
Reply to
MartinS

And a five foot long loco and tender was "diminutive"!

Reply to
LDosser

Compared to the real thing, I suppose. There was no '00' in 1898!

Reply to
MartinS

"LDosser" wrote

Wonder what scale/gauge it was?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

6 inch gauge I believe it said

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I imagine the scale was between 1/8 and 1/10, representing a gauge between

4ft and 5ft.

If it was precise to standard gauge, the scale would be 1:9.41666...

Reply to
MartinS