Re: Milk wagons -- what's the (end) point?

Folks,
The mention of cylindrical milk churns interests me. Here in Australia,
or at least in Victoria, the conical frustum churns were almost never seen.
The most common type had a cylindrical body with a sharply coned frustum top
and then a short cylindrical section, about 8 inches in dia. to take the
lid. I don't know what their capacity was, I suspect that it would be less
than the British style churns. The other interesting thing is that in photos
of milk being handled on the German railways, these same cylindrical churns
are being used. Perhaps both places followed USA practice.
Regards,
Bill.
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:46:23 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no wrote: >

> >The town daries had long platforms to handle milk churns, I did find
> >one on an OS map about twenty years ago and it looked like a two-road
> >passenger terminus - Cant remember which map or the date but for town
> >daries built before about 1935 this wouldhave been typical.
> >
> >The steam was from the churn/tank cleaning gear
>
> Found the notebook -Shows a two-road line feeding a single long
> platform with a crossover sketched in (think Ashburton)
> There is a substantial building behind the platform but the platform
> extends beyond the end of the building and I wrote 'milk tank siding'
> next to the short siding beond the cross over (that was probably just
> a thought - Sadly I did not note the location whenImade the note
Reply to
William Pearce