Re: Nationalisation and the BR Crest

Some relevant WR livery and crest info from E.R.Mountford's book on Caerphilly Works:

On 2 February 1948 instructions were issued that GWR lettering on locos was to be replaced by BRITISH RAILWAYS in full. Also letter "W" was to be painted below the cast numberplate.

On 12 March 1948 instruction for painting the "W" was cancelled.

Late 1949 the first BR crest (the cycling lion) was introduced in two sizes. The first engine to receive the smaller version at Caerphilly was

5682 on 18 October 1949, and the first with the larger size were 4255 and 5649 on 8 December 1949.

On 10 January 1950 instruction that GWR practice of painting the shed code on front hanging plate was to be discontinued, and replaced by cast shedplates on smokebox door, with painted details on inside of cab roof.

In November 1956 an instruction issued that certain main line passenger engines were to be painted green with full lining out, whilst some smaller and mixed traffic engines were to be painted green but unlined.

On 25 January 1957 the instruction was amended to ALL green engines being fully lined out. The first engine so treated at Caerphilly was 4152 on 15 February 1957

The second BR crest was first applied at Caerphilly to 5680 on 19 March

1957.

An instruction in July 1957 stopped the practice of lining tender fenders.

6386 on 29 July was the last to have two panel tender lining.

From March 1958 some smaller engines were turned out black instead of lined green as previously. 2266 on 28 March was first engine turned out in black instead of lined green.

The practice at Caerphilly (only) of painting reversing rods of tender engines red was stopped by an instruction from Swindon in November 1958.

An instruction in March 1962 stated that only engines having Heavy General repairs were to be repainted, and only main line passenger classes were to be lined green.

My recollection is that the first style BR crest was still reasonably common in 1962.

Hope this helps.

David

Reply to
gwr4090

The later "lion rampant and wheel" (aka "ferret and dartboard") emblem was

> a "crest", a true heraldic device registered with the College of Arms. By > the heraldic rules it had to be painted the same way wherever it was used, > hence the lion faced to the left. At least that was the theory - there > were some mix ups in the paint shops and on a few occasions the lion faced > forwards on both sides.

The version I have heard and understood was that British Railways with the later crest had intended it to face forwards as per the unicycling lion and commenced using the device in this way until it was pointed out by the College that that wasn't acceptable and that the crest had to applied as registered. It would be interesting to know which locomotives had the forward facing crest, it would be a good modelling variation and one to catch pedants out with...;)

Reply to
Michael Walker

Now that you mention it, I think you're right.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Locos also had new crests applied when tarted up for private excursions sometimes I think by members of the society which chartered the excursion. At the other extreme locos in departmental service at works depots often had their old obsolete markings left intact.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Reply to