BR MK1 coach roundels...

Hi Folks,

I have noticed something strange about Bachmann's new N gauge MK1 coaches. Some of them do not have the British Railways coach roundel (heraldic coat of arms) on the side. Specifically this seems to affect the Southern RMB (374-100) (buffet), the Southern SK (371-051) and the maroon SK (374-053A).

The strange thing is that 374-053 (i.e. the previous maroon batch) does have the roundel?

I have checked Bachmann's OO catalogue and they seem to do a similar thing with their OO coaches. The old Farish coaches always had the badge and Hornby seem to print it on their MK1s.

I am not expert so can someone confirm is this livery variation is correct i.e. not all MK1s had the badge? Or is this a printing error on Bachmann's part?

Yours confused and concerned.

Many thanks.

Paddy

Reply to
Paddy Coleman

"Paddy Coleman" wrote

The roundell was not carried throughout the life of these coaches in the liveries stated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This is correct. The roundel was only intended to be applied to coaches on front line express trains. In the early days, attempts were made to assemble complete sets with roundels. Needless to say this practice didn't last long. Only a small proportion of the Mk1 maroon and green coaches ever received it, whereas a relatively larger percentage of chocolate and cream coaches had the roundel. Apparently the coach roundel came in both left facing and right facing versions, although it is not at all clear which was supposed to be used where on coaches. Indeed I have yet to find a photo of a right facing roundel. After 1960 only the (heraldically correct) left facing version was used, and even that appeared to fall out of use pretty soon thereafter.

David

Reply to
gwr4090

Hi all,

Southern green coaches only had the roundel for use on the Royal Wessex (a very small number had it applied for standby use or possibly by mistake). Bachmann/Farish are therefore correct in not placing the roundel on their green coaches for 99.9% of their usage. RTR manufacturers have often applied roundels indiscriminatley, presumably to catch the ey of the buying public.

Tony Comber

Reply to
TonyComber

I remember in the early sixties travelling on green SR coaches added to the York-Bournemouth train at Sheffield. I don't recollect them having roundels - which as you say is probably correct.

However, the Devonian from Bradford to Paignton had WR chocolate and cream coaches, presumably with roundels.

Reply to
MartinS

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you for clarifying this. It is good to know that Bach/GF are correct in the application of the roundel.

All the best

Paddy

Reply to
Paddy Coleman

And Blood and Custard didn't carry them at all!

Notice also that the RMB (buffet coach) also never appeared in Blood and Custard, except in preservation days...!

-- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply)

Andrew Sollis CVMRD