Re: mileage siding/yard

In message , Chris Wilson
writes
Just started coming across the above terms on old station plans. Anybody
>able to give me an idea what they are ... "mileage siding" and "mileage
>yard" ... I'm guess that it's something to do with trip workings and the
>like but have got to confess I'm stuck.
>
>TIA

Where traders unloaded their own goods, avoiding handling costs.
They only paid for transport, otherwise known as mileage.
Reply to
Bob Williams
Top bananas, thanks Bob,
Reply to
Chris Wilson
On some plans they use the phrase 'public wharf', notably where a siding has been provided for a factory and a second siding has been provided for other traders/locals to handle goods. This idea seems to have died out around the early 20th century.
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike