Re: Point and Signal Bowden cable

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net says... | About 25 years ago, someone was selling a Bowden-cable | style control system for point and signal control. This consisted | of thin white plastic tubing into which slid a springy steel wire | (some form of piano wire?) |

'Point and signal' I assume refers to a model railway use.

Any genuine radio amateur would make their own....

Piano wire can be had in long rolls of many metres in length. It can be had in stainless steel, is very springy and resists bending, though it can be bent.

Piano wire is certainly available and in a number of thicknesses. Look up engineering supply companies.

Continuous thin walled fairly rigid plastic tubing can be had in a number of diameters from 3mm ID upwards. Look up pneumatic supplies wholesalers. Thorite would be a good place to find a good range.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Stupid Boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

"Airy R. Bean" wrote

GEM Mercontrol is one such system, using copper tube. Of course Halfords and the like sell such cables for operating brakes, gears and clutches and may be more suitably robust for your purposes.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

Come on mar bean, you have stated yourself that you are a slow learner "I am a slow learner" on the subject of DSP. Your recent thread on DSP shows how much you have developed your knowledge since you made that comment way back in 96, some people never learn. Silly old sod.

Reply to
steve H

Would this be any good?

Goto Latest Products and look at the info about the "Slippery Sid Original" Wire in tube system

R M S

Reply to
r.shemilt

I'll get back to you. I don't use the web from here because of the cost of phone calls.

Original"

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Somewhat like persistent top-posters, don't you think?

tox

Reply to
citizensband

"Airy R. Bean" wrote

Also advertised in current Railway Modeller: 2 x 86" outer black plastic sheath, diameter 4mm, 2 x 90" inner steel cable 1.2mm UKP 9.85 including P&P.

Smaller sizes down to 1.2mm/0.32mm

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

Terry,

I tried this a short while ago, getting long bicycle outers and inners from my local cycle shop (supplied for tandems). It might work well if you can use complete cables as supplied, but I tried cutting the inners and outers to lengths to suit my layout and that proved to be quite a job. It was also quite a job to try and solder anything to the inner. I suspect that the grease in the cable was preventing the flux doing its job. I finally gave in gracefully and used other methods to do the job.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sprockets.co.uk says... | | I tried this a short while ago, getting long bicycle outers and | inners from my local cycle shop (supplied for tandems). It might | work well if you can use complete cables as supplied, but I tried | cutting the inners and outers to lengths to suit my layout and that | proved to be quite a job. It was also quite a job to try and solder | anything to the inner. I suspect that the grease in the cable was | preventing the flux doing its job. I finally gave in gracefully and | used other methods to do the job. | |

You might find some of that flux supplied in the yellow containers (the name of which I have forgotten) useful for this type of soldering.

A grinderette will cut the cables very cleanly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I used to do this many years back when fitting brake or clutch cables to my BSA and Triumph bikes. The trick is to use a nice big blowtorch with a soldering tip. The average electric iron is nowhere near powerful enough.

But I guess you'd want to watch your scenery if waving a blowtorch around :-)

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Harding

"Simon Harding" wrote

Or mechanically clamp the ends, e.g. a bolt with a hole through it sideways, a couple of washers tightened with a nut, as used on some types of bicycle brakes.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

My news server recorded 490 messages from Mr Bean during the month of August.

His headers contain the line

where the 0-170 and b-1 subsets are variable. If they refer to the modem engaged during dial-in, then it becomes possible to estimate how many times Mr Bean accessed the Internet during that period.

A cursory examination of the last 11 days of August shows that, on this basis, Mr Bean accessed the Internet about 46 times. But not all of these were minimum-cost connections; separate periods of connection of 14 minutes, 16 minutes, 18 minutes, 21 minutes, and 18 minutes (based on times of posting first and last messages in a single connection) were noted during those eleven days.

I have no idea which telco Mr Bean uses, or what options he might have chosen in his package. But a fuller analysis of August's connection pattern might be suggestive of the scenario whereby an access package such as Tesco Daytime (02:00 - 16:00) at £5:99 a month (requires BT landline) might either prove to be a cheaper option that his current system, or, alternatively, remove any day-to-day concern over the costs involved in using his current package, while accessing the services available (news, e-mail, WWW, etc). His friend who provides WWW information might also be suitably grateful.

An additional unquantifiable benefit could be the checking of information via the WWW before it is posted to newsgroups, such as whether millimetre-wave radiation involves 'nuclear emissions', or what BR68 says about operating, or whatever the topic of the day happens to be.

BICBW, of course.

Reply to
RVMJ

PLEASE don't give him any ideas about how to spend longer on the web for the same or less money. He'll only post more crap than he already does.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

Perhaps he's using a payphone and he ran out of change?

Cheers tox

Reply to
citizensband

I bought some multi-strand wire with poly tube from a radio control aircraft shop. Works fine but . . Had problems cutting the inner to length, ended up using a blowtorch to older it and then cut that, found that I could trim the end leaving a couple of trand longer than the rest when soldering and could then bend the trailing ends through the hole in a Peco tie-bar and wind it round to top it coming out. These days I use piano wire run through poly tube, mall drinking straws, oiled newspaper tube with cling film outer. Not ideal as it needs to be fairly traight wheras the multi-trand would go round 360 degree loop if required. The old Conrad wire in tube stuff would go round corners but that seem to have gone - Ordinary steel wire can be used but try and find some denso grease as it tends to rust in the tube (no problem if the tube is a big one (small diameter straw etc) but might cause problem in a metal tube.

HTH

Reply to
Mike