Live steam pics on MREmag

The MREmag site

carries some more detailed pics of how the live steam Mallard will work. The controller certainly looks interesting, but will it rule out any DCC operation? That could affect the high end of the market Hornby are aiming for, does anyone else agree/disagree?

-- Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk) MSN Messenger: richmackin-at-hotmail.com Yahoo Messenger: arkick2000 ICQ: 112431453

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Agree.,, If it wont work on my layout. What's the point?

Reply to
Rob K

I get the impression from the MRE article that the locomotive isn't compatible with DCC. However, as with everything electronic and computer based, that doesn't mean it can't be. Just that no-one's botthered to develop the necessary protocols to translate one to the other and back...

So, even if I had £500, which I don't, I wouldn't buy one of these steam locos until it can interoperate with my existing stock seamlessly.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Having had a further read of the article, I can confirm that it definitely isn't DCC compatible - in fact, it actually needs to run on its own track circuit to "warm up", after which it can be transferred to run on a DC-only layout for that session - hence the inclusion of the track and controller. So the live steam Mallard will in fact require its own mini-layout to warm up - useful. :/

--

***
*** - updated 6 September Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

I would imagine that a few years ago very similar concerns were raised with regards to DCC. Power on all the time? My old locos won't convert. How much do those controllers cost ... and you need to chip every loco, FFS I can't afford that. Rewire the entire layout simply to run one or two models whilst the rest are left on the shelf ...

I do think that it's a bit of a shame that almost everything posted on the subject has had a negative tint. What we have is a major "toy" manufacturer actually investing in "new"(*) technology. In this day and age I'd argue that this is something to be applauded. With the increasing quality of their offerings they could have simply sat back and continued to re-hash their old models satisfied that they could keep this game up for the next 10 years or so without any financial risk, without having to significantly invest in research and development ...

Certainly it's expensive, but it's not aimed at the "toy" market. and yes there's currently only one engine available, however Hornby have set their sights realistically and aim to sell only around 1,500 units in the first year ... which looks pretty achievable to me. Assuming that they've done their sums and sell this number of units they can look forward to financial success. Success breeds success and it's not unreasonable to look forward to new models based on the same technology in the years to come. With higher production and greater commonality of parts we can also look forward to lower unit prices. Also now that the introductory set is on the market subsequent purchasers won't require the new pattern regulator, nor would they require rail etc. and we can expect follow-on models to be available as individual items - further reducing unit cost. After all, at bog standard PC at 1980 prices would nowadays be what? £7,500 per unit? And how much does a quality kit built 4mm engine with an electrical motor cost? I'd argue that assuming success of the initial offering follow on offerings will be priced at around the same level as a good kit built engine and I'd further argue that it will be pitched at much the same market.

But of course, in the meantime, can anyone lend me £500 or thereabouts, because I would love to own one.

(*) Yes, steam is a very old technology but it is to my knowledge the first time that it has been applied to a mass produced, out of the box product at this scale.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Here's what Hornby could have done if they wanted to have their own live-steam controller....

Get the loco to accept 12-20v DC or AC and made the controller a wireless one.

Then it wouldn't have mattered if it was plonked on a conventional layout with the tranny on full forwards, or on DCC.

Though I suppose, all the laws on radio transmission etc. in various countries would cloud (steam up) the issue if they did it this way?

Still, a confident move. I hope it works for them, they do a lot of good stuff nowadays.

~ Fil Downs

Reply to
Fil Downs

[...]

At the end of the day, most people will make a decision based on what they would want such an item for. And since most of us have existing layouts with existing stock, we would generally prefer new items to work with such setups. The issue with this steam system, lovely though it is, is that it comes across as more of a showcase rather than modeller system. Which is fine if, as it appears, that is the market Hornby are aiming at. They probably aren't counting on the rest of us being that interested anyway.

The negativity comes from a feeling that it could have been done differently in such a way as to be compatible, and it's a pity that it isn't so.

I'm sure, if as Hornby are suggesting, that they aren't looking for massive sales, that they will get what they want in terms of returns, and if that brings more people to the hobby, then it is a good thing.

But I still won't buy one at £500 for a showpiece that can't run with DCC...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Whoops...sorry about all those....good old mailgate told me they couldn't be posted because there was "more new text than old" or somesuch inexplicable error...

Soz! ~ Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

"Ian J." wrote

So why does it need to be steam powered? If it's going to sit in a showcase it doesn't need to be powered at all.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I meant showcase to be a verb, not a noun, as in a showcase film (like the IMAX films, which aren't so much for public entertainment, more to show off what something can be).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ken Wilson" wrote

You don't mean the Pullmans where the couplings are unrealiable or the coaches derail do you? :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner"

Ah - forgot that one - perhaps they will have bachmann Pulmans by then?

or perhaps that is why everyone is applauding.

:-)

ken I now have a policy - no (more) hornby, lima or dapol carraiges or wagons - then they are all compatible...

Reply to
Ken Wilson

In message , Ken Wilson writes

I think you'll find the Bachmann Harry Potter is OO, not HO.

Reply to
John Sullivan

If the layout is wired for cab control, one of the cabs could be the steamer controller (which I understand is 50v) and the others conventional ~12v DC and maybe a DCC booster.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

It's gone now from MREMAG, but it looked to me like the meter on the control unit went up to 20 - though it may or may not be volts.

Reply to
MartinS

"Rich Mackin" wrote

I once got a slight *belt* from the 12v output on my ancient Codar controller which puts out no more than 1amp. The suggestions are that Hornby will need 50v at 1.5A (75VA) to boil water. I suspect this could give a child quite a shock especially in the potentially damp environment around a steam loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The leaflet Hornby were giving out at the launch lists the transformer as having a 17V output. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"John Sullivan"

OK - just for you

and in the school grounds mounted between the basketball posts and through the climbing frame is a long track. At half hourly intervals (becuase it is a long track) a merchant navy pulls 13 green coaches of which well over half are brakes. if you go down to the other end of the track it ends up as west country towing one solitary coach.

and then in between this delight there is one of those LMS freight things with more wheels than i can count pulling a rake of 40 naturally weathered trucks carrying ballast, er, shed roofing.

And i would really enjoy that as well.

(actually - i have been eyeing our garden perimeter wall which is about 3ft

6 high. Trouble is there are flowerpots around lots of it........)

ken ;-)

Reply to
Ken Wilson