Live steam pics on MREmag

Ken Wilson

Flowerpots? Ju don't need no steenking flowerpots......

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Drill holes through them - they'll make nice tunnels.

Reply to
MartinS

The Hornby brochure states that the voltage is 17V. It's also neither AC or DC according to the symbol - a long equals sign with the bottom line broken into three pieces.

Terry O'Brien wrote:

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

"Enzo Matrix"

Bill, Ben? WeeeeeeD?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

It's up to you what you grow in them!

Reply to
MartinS

G'day All, I hear that Hornby are almost sold out of the new steam locomotive. The orders are coming thick & fast. So I guess that we, in Australia, will not have any till next year.. Also, it appears that the unit is not for DCC. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

Couldn't it be warmed up on it's own little track section (like a DCC coding track) then transferred to a DCC track and be powered through (a specially adapted) decoder?

Reply to
Mark W

At roughly 09/09/2003 10:08 pm, the person described as Dick Ganderton stated:

That is DC.

whokid

Pester me, why not: whokid at flywheelnetwork .co .uk

Reply to
Whokid

"Dick Ganderton" wrote

I'm am unable to find the original 50v cite which I may have misread but if the voltage is less than 25vish, then the decision not to use DCC seems perverse.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

Roger T

Let's not talk about weeeed... This isn't ratucs, you know....!

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Isn't the symbol for DC just simply a long "equals" sign?

Whokid wrote:

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

At roughly 10/09/2003 9:20 pm, the person described as Dick Ganderton stated:

No.

whokid

Pester me, why not: whokid at flywheelnetwork .co .uk

Reply to
Whokid

Doing a few back-of-the envelope calcs., firstly, what sort of tractive effort would one expect? From a German mag. a Lilliput 01 class 4-6-2 HO loco on test gave about 4 oz. T.E., sufficient to haul 68 axles.Not having an A4 model handy, but assuming that the driving wheels are 1 inch in dia., the cylinders 3/16 inch bore and 3/8 inch stroke, one can calculate the boiler pressure to give the T.E. One query, are the cylinders double or single acting? Single might be easier to make in this small scale. If single, about 20p.s.I would give the 4 oz. T.E. If double acting (only two cylinders, not three as in full size), 10 p.s.i. would suffice. How much water is in the boiler? If half a cubic inch, equalling about 0.018 lbs. water, then to turn all this water into steam at 20 p.s.i. would require a Total Heat input of about 20 B.T.U. All are welcome to pick the eyes out of this. Regards, Bill.

Terry O'Brien" wrote in message news:bjn270$1cgj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.icl.se...

Reply to
William Pearce

In message , William Pearce writes

According to the nice big picture/advert in the current edition of 'Steam Railway' (288), the two cylinders are double-acting.

Reply to
Spyke

Ta much, Spyke, this would make the steam pressure required about 10 p.s.i. gauge, with the Total Heat required about 20 B.T.U., my previous TH should have been about 21 B.T. U. for 20 p.s.i. gauge. No allowances made for mechanical or thermal efficiencies. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce