More pics of the Lister B

Hi all,

I have put up a few more pics of the "B". All can be found on the gallery page.

This is an nearly finished site, any feedback would be appretiated

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Sorry, it's been a long day.

url is

Simon

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Simon, the site and the content are excellent!

What can I say - well done.

I hope you restore quite a few engines and document them in this way. I would enjoy reading them and it's presented in a way that's neither patronising or assume you know it all.

It makes me feel that I really sould finish my B.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Nice sharp images, interesting content and what could be the basis of an excellent resource. Unfortunately MS Publisher is a very poor program for designing anything but the most basic of web sites, while it is good for what it was originally created for, when it comes to creating a functional web site it is about as useful as a pair of mole grips are when assembling something like a fuel injection pump. There are issues which would be difficult to fix because of the Publisher code, but the easy ones to address would be a couple of improvements that would make the site more search engine friendly.

The initial page is more or less what is known as a "splash page" this does not give a search engine a lot that it can index, also it has a file size of 181,092 bytes, there is good reason to believe that with such large file sizes that a search engine spider will time out before the page loads.

To be on the safe side the initial page should have more text than images and a small file size, basically the smaller the better and more than 80,000 bytes for an initial page is unwise, (personally I aim for less than 40,000 bytes) Care with the file sizes give two distinct benefits: the search engines like it, and your users who do not have broadband wont have a long wait for the pages to load.

A descriptive title is also important, currently you have: index while "index" is correct as the file name for the initial page it should never be used for the (no one is likely to ever search for it) Restoring a 1924 Lister B Stationary Engine or any variation you care to use would be far more appropriate with suitable titles for all the other pages it is certain that the site would get many more visitors.

There are many other issues which could be covered but perhaps this is not the time or the place, in the meantime I will leave with you with a few links that you might find useful.

Validates your code.

See you site as someone using a text only browser would.

Gives you information about your code, browser compatibility and most importantly the total file size of your pages.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Enjoyed reading the history of the restoration. I am sure that reading this will inspire others to renew their efforts.

I am flattered that you intend putting a link to my site, I will do the same.

Reply to
Pete Aldous