Re: train numbers

> Hi All

...select the Steam Database, then BR. > Std. menu >>> by Name/Number, type in 80032 and submit. > > Is that what you were looking for? > > There's also a pic of 80032 (albeit a bit small) and other 4MT's at >
> HTH

Try doing a search on a selection of numbers with Google. It works for me quite often. It is quite amazing how many railway sites there are out there these days, and forgetting to bookmark a quality site can mean a lot of failed searching to try and re-find it. If you are very lucky and have your 'history' file set to a very large memory capacity you may be able to go back a few weeks and discover your original search. But that is a bit of a long shot. So, just pick some loco numbers such as 37712 or 25303 and see what a search comes up with. I know it may seem a bit sad to some, but it keeps me amused sometimes when I cant be arsed to mow the lawn.

Reply to
Jon

Don't forget the "image search" feature of Google.

Reply to
MartinS

"John Turner" wrote Ironically it's often the pedants on this group that spend much time

Agreed John, But I must admit I took Rogers' reply as if he were being sarcastic, yet knowing the same as he did (i.e. Train is a consist, made up of locomotive and coaches or wagons) could see what he was getting at... Sadly, not everyone understands railway terminology, but people can't learn if we don't explain. Thomas the tank engine stories are probably one of the biggest causes... "Troublesome trucks"? Nah, a truck to me gets pulled by a lorry on a main road. Thomas pulled Wagons and vans! (Now that COULD confuse! :-) ) Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

When I was a nipper in the UK, and Rev. Awdrey was writing his books featuring Thomas and Friends, the common terms for rail freight and passenger vehicles were trucks and carriages, which were pulled by engines. Carriages and long trucks ran on bogies, but 4-wheel trams were mounted on trucks. All road freight motor vehicles were called lorries.

I came to North America in the 1960s (as did Roger) to find that on Canadian railways and US railroads, locomotives hauled freight cars and passenger cars, all of which were mounted on trucks, which term was also used for road freight vehicles. Apparently these terms are creeping into British usage, but it doesn't necessarily reduce the confusion!

Reply to
MartinS