RTR OO9?

Freelance engines have to look the part. As though they should work.

I've seen too many freelance "Garratts" that miss the point of the engine, a big firebox unobstructed by frames, wheels and axles, and a short fat boiler. Often using eg two G-gauge Colorado narrow gauge engines. They simply don't look right because they retain the original boiler and firebox. Not to mention the bar frames.

Patentees are another matter. Anybody interested in them will have seen plenty of drawings by Ahrons, Sharman etc. Even North Star or Arend. I bought a set in a used bookshop in Palo Alto in the 1990s which were reproduced from a Victorian reference, and so detailed you could almost build the real thing.

At that time it was like the American scene a few decades later, with most companies buying off the shelf engines. I happen to like the E.B.Wilson engines of that era - the Jenny Linds and the corresponding

2-4-0s and 0-6-0s as well as the small tank engines that were the precursors of the standard early Manning Wardles.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

You'll no doubt be aware of

then. A lovely loco! And it can be modelled more or less accurately on OO gauge track ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

...at which point a beautifully detailed loco and train emerges from the fiddle yard, with the last wagon being a mouse...

I saw that at one exhibition, and the intention was to remind the too-serious amongst the audience that model railways is supposed to be fun!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I saw a layout with a self-propelled mouse that would emerge from a tunnel in a hillside. There were also lots of "count the cats" type things for the kids. That's my kind of layout.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Miscrosoft or Logitech? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

Don't forget the Bachmann US offerings! They have 3 different locos, a Stephenson 0-4-0 (John Bull 2-2-2-0) a Norris (4-2-0) and the De Witt Clinton (0-4-0)plus rolling stock. Add the long gone Trix Adler, the Triang Rocket, Airfix/Dapol Rocket, Maerklin/Trix Wuerttemberg (4-4-0) and Swiss old-timer (4-2-0), Piko/Sachsenmodelle made a "Saxonia" 0-4-0. A few wagons from British cottage-industry suppliers and you've got loads of raw materials!

A ready to run Bachmann Norris, a junk-box Triang Rocket carriage and a few wagonsand you have a train. Space out the sleepers on some Peco Code 75 track and you have accurate enough track. (well who would know)

The De Witt Clinton tender mechanisim can have almost anything built around it, so any lashup loco (or mouse) can be pushed by it.

I must admit I haven't gone very far down this route as I'm modelling the other end of the century. I've modernised the Norris to around the end of it's life, built some wagon bodies on Piko chassis, built "rebuilt" coaches on Bachmann John Bull bogies and modernised the Ma wagons with buffers. (post 1860) As has been pointed out, who knows if I've got it right? Almost all the photos of the era were either of the "Newest Locomotive", the station staff all arranging themselves over some loco that we'd rather see the wheels and motion of, or a scene where a train has accidentally been included in the vast distance. (oh for a time machine)

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Both Fleischmann and Minitrix do these in N scale. The Fleischmann one has an odd method of mounting couplers. However you can cut the mounting=

back to a flat pad and glue on a Peco or Bemo HOe coupler. Of course Roco makes a couple of variations of tippers that can be used straight out of the box. Jouef/Playcraft also did one way back, ditto Eggerbahn.

The MiniTrix 2-6-0 and 2-6-2t make nice 0-6-0 locos. There was also a US outline 0-6-0 from Minitrix. Bachmann did some very cheap and nasty 0-4-0t, 0-6-0 ... which run too fast.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I had forgotten, and you're entirely right. There's a really good start there.

Sounds excellent - and a real example to follow. /Many/ thanks for that.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen