Sand House

Reminds me of my father who tells me he had a problem with his old truck being rear wheel lite on so he put a sand bag in the back of the tray.

Got to the end of the journey and the sand had worked through the planked tray so half the bag of sand was in the tray and half was hanging below.

:-)

Then again it could just be his humour showing.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

They did, from time to time - Adams, when he was on the NLR and the GER, often used boiler-top sandboxes, as did Massey Bromley on the GER after him. For some reason Adams didn't carry on the practice on the L&SW. There may well have been a few other examples, but generally at running plate level or just above seems to have been common practice, following the example set by Bouch on the S&D (who was, IIRC, the first in .uk to fit large sandboxes - the famous "quaker tea caddies")

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Checking 'Russell's Pictorial Guide', most had 'gravity fed' sand boxes with pipes leading to the front and rear driving wheels. Looking through E.Lyons' An Historical Survey of GW Engine Sheds show that the sand furnace was usually close to the doors of the engine sheds as can still be seen at Didicot.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Thanks for that, next one I'm looking at is an ex GWR line

Reply to
Mike