Shifting sand

Hi all, Spoke with one or two on the group recently about the historic movement of sand, namely from our site at Oakamoor, now on the Churnet Valley Railway.

Is sand still moved by rail today? and if so, in what wagons, and where to\from ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Mainly from King's Lynn to glassworks in the Goole/Barnsley/Doncaster area. BIS are now owned by WBB (Watts, Bearne and somebody), who used to be china clay suppliers. Sadly, I don't think the wagons have the camel on them anymore.... Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"BH Williams" wrote

Mainly from King's Lynn to glassworks in the Goole/Barnsley/Doncaster area. BIS are now owned by WBB (Watts, Bearne and somebody), who used to be china clay suppliers. Sadly, I don't think the wagons have the camel on them anymore.... Brian

Brian, Thanks again. That answered a non railway question as to what does WBBM stand or on the local signs (M being Moneystones quarry I guess at Oakamoor)

Did you get the timetable? I had a feeling in bounced back to me? If not drop me a message off group and I will try again.

What are the said wagons, do we know? Are they like the CV line had with the covered tops? I fancy a late period train with say a class 60 in EWS to compliment my new Class 31 in blue!

Andy snipped-for-privacy@cvmrd.freeserve.co.uk

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Wagons are indeed the same ones- the Churnet Valley one were part of a larger fleet, some with tops and some without. All have been 'tidied up' recently, as new traffic to serve a safety-glass plant at Goole has joined the long-existing traffic to Kirk Sandall and Monk's Bretton. The 'M' is 'Minerals', and I have just checked for the two 'B's- 'Blake and Bearne'. Can't remember receiving a timetable from you. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

As already mentioned, there's the Middleton Towers (near Kings Lynn) sand trains. White PGA hoppers are used.

taken a while ago, the wagons have been repainted white and rebranded 'WBB Minerals' since that photo was taken. Haven't got any up to date shots.

There is, or at least was, another sand train out my way, think it runs to Bishops Stortford from Croft (near Leicester) also using blue PGA wagons. Haven't been out round Ely or Peterborough way for some time, so again have no up to date shots.

Reply to
Ben C