shunters truck / match truck / brake tender

Hi, I have seen some pictures in books that had a Brake tender, as far as I know this is for extra braking capabilitys on early vacuum brake locomotives, however what were Match trucks and shunters trucks used for Regards Simon

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

A match truck is sometimes something with different styles of coupling at each end, to let e.g. industrial locos shunt mainline vehicles. Not common in the uk on the mainline, but still widely used on the continent in tramways and eve to let a standard gauge loco pull metre gauge stock on dual-gauge yards

Cranes had match trucks which took the weight of the top of the jib, because the crane was longer than it's vehicle. The match truck was pulled out of the way when the crane was chocked up for use. Those are the most common in mainline usage.

I think shunter's trucks were used between loco and stock in hump- shunting yards. Not so sure.

Reply to
bobharvey

I think they were used in normal yards. The shunter would ride on it with his pole.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I think they were used in normal yards. The shunter would ride on it with his pole.

MBQ

Were they not also used as reach trucks to bring wagons in and out of sheds?

Cheers, Steve W ---

Reply to
Steve W

Not forgetting the match wagons for short shunters to ensure correct track circuit operation, 03's at Newcastle had them for example.

Reply to
Chris