Telev. Interf.

Hi I live in a bungalow & I have my railway layout in the roof (all of it). My television aerial is inside. All my locomotives are supressed, but now I have gone onto a diggy box & every time I run my loco's the picture pixilates on the tele. Do I have to move the aerial to the outside or can I supress further. I have about 40 loco's. Can anybody help please. Roger.

Reply to
Roger Mitchell

You would be best to have an outside aerial for [1], I assume you mean DVB-T (Freeview) irrespective of your model railway, you might even need to renew the down lead to - it's quite possible that you are also in a marginal reception area at the moment (again I assume you are not is an already switched over area)...

[1] possibly also having it on an extended pole to get the aerial as high as possible
Reply to
Jerry

Roger Mitchell said the following on 18/11/2008 11:01:

Generally for digital reception you would need an outside aerial anyway. Some digiboxes are also more susceptible to interference than others - I threw away a cheap Lidl jobby in favour of a better brand and I have no more problems using the same aerial and downlead.

Do I need to mention about keeping track and wheels clean? If you're running 50 year old Hornby-Dublo on filthy track then you'll be transmitting interference all the way to Norway :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Get the correct aerial fitted outside, with good quality downlead from the aerial to the box. Correct means to suit the channels used for digital TV in your area, which will not be the same as the analogue signal.

Almost all cases of TV interference (analogue or digital) are due to poor receiving equipment, rather than the source of the interference itself.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I still like the old tried & trusted method of having the wife hold the aerial (bit of bent coat hanger ) out the window :-)

Back to the post ......

Try an outside aerial, if you are OK at DIY & ladders use the old one ! New bit of well shilded coax cable might not go a miss.

You could spend =A3100's and still get problems.

Back in the old days of CB radio I had problems with next door's TV " Your CB puts herring bones on it". I tried everything but still no joy. Then went to look at his TV and found it was an old, very old, Black & White one they had been using since Adam was a lad.

My problem is with these motor scooters, can you buy spike strips on Ebay ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

In the specific case of the OPs existing aerial which clearly doesn't work. I clearly didn't say that digital will never work with an existing aerial. It very often does, as witnessed by the many people, including myself, who receive freeview through their old aerials.

What I didn't say was "buy a *digital* aerial". You were the one who introduced "digital" aerials to the conversation (quote "No doubt a 'digital' aerial?....". OK, maybe that was supposed to be tongue in cheek, but why then go on about them (quote "there is no such thing as a digital aerial") when no one but you even mentioned them?

I told the OP, who's existing aerial is obviously not suitable either due to location (in the loft) or type or age of aerial or downlead, to get the "correct" aerial fitted outside with decent quality downlead. This may be as simple as moving his existing aerial outside. I never mentioned any need for a *new* aerial for digital. I did, however, leave that possibility open. I credit the OP with the intelligence to be able to do a bit more research and determine what is *needed*, or come back and ask for further advice.

Yes, do you?

As I said "Sometimes a wideband (group W) aerial is specified but this will only ever be a compromise". The clue is in the word "compromise", i.e., it will not work as well as the correct group aerial.

At least we agree on something.

So I should have said "may not" rather than "will not". I think it's clear from subsequent posts that's what I meant, e.g. when I said "In some areas of the country there are frequency conflicts and one or more of the digital multiplexes have to be transmitted on a channel outside that areas normal group".

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

LOL! As a kid, despite living only a few miles, as the crow flies, from Emley Moor (in West Yorkshire), but in the shadow of a hill, we couldn't get a decent picture with Yorkshire TV for years, until a relay station was opened. We had to make do with Tyne-Tees. Occasionally, there would be some special regional programme, and the coat hanger would come out in a desperate attempt to watch it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But it does, he is receiving DVB-T, all he will probably need to do is move the existing aerial outside - his complaint is about interference due to the aerials close proximity to an interference source, not that he can't receive DVB-T broadcasts, he could have a new aerial (of the correct group, lined up with millimetre accuracy) and still have interference if the aerial is bang next door to the source of the interference!

Reply to
Jerry

I think "doesn't work" is a reasonable description of not being able to recieve correctly (i.e. suffering from pixellation).

If you want to take pedantry to new heights, go ahead. We'll all have a laugh when you fall.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Stop talking about yourself cretin, try reading the OP before you prove that not only are you a worthless retard idiot but you can't read either, the problem only occurs when the model railway is in use, the rest of the time the picture is OK - this is an _interference problem_ and *not a reception problem* - even with a new aerial there could still be interference issues if he is running badly suppressed electric motors etc.

I live in a bungalow & I have my railway layout in the roof (all of it). My television aerial is inside. All my locomotives are supressed, but now I have gone onto a diggy box & **_every time I run my loco's the picture pixilates on the tele._** Do I have to move the aerial to the outside or can I supress further. I have about 40 loco's. Can anybody help please.

Reply to
Jerry

It's a problem of the current receiving equipment being unable to discriminate between the desired signal and "interference". At the moment it's due to the model railway, tomorrow it could be from some new activity of a neighbour. Either way, the receiving equipment needs fixing.

Indeed, that's why he was advised to move the aerial and not just replace it with a new one in the same position. At the same time he was advised to ensure it's the correct aerial for digital transmissions in his area. Despite what you think, some multiplexes in some areas DO NOT use the same channel group as analogue transmissions in that area. Hence he needs to check the situation in his area before committing himself to any expense.

So why didn't you suggest checking the effectiveness of the suppression if you think that's the real problem?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I'd Rather be a retard than brain dead.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Unfortunately for you, this thread has proved beyond doubt that you are both, not only have you proved that you are retarded as to understanding DVB-T broadcasts but you are brain dead in accepting that you are grossly ignorant on the subject... If we all had to put new aerials up for DVB-T most would not bother, we would be putting put a DVB-S dishes up instead!

Reply to
Jerry

I have decided to kill this thread in my newsreader.

Grow up, children.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

.

Yet another Straw Man. Where did I say that all would need to put up new aerials?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In your original reply, way up;

"Correct means to suit the channels used for digital TV in your area, which will not be the same as the analogue signal."

You really don't understand the fundamentals of DVB-T, you have either been brainwashed by the rouge aerial installers or you are a rouge installer yourself, unless you really are as thick as two short planks of course (apologies to short planks!)... :~(

Reply to
Jerry

Red-faced aerial installers? Whatever next...

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

They will be when Trading Standards step forward when they present the bill for work not required to the (apparently) 'dithering and half-dotty old lady'!...

Reply to
Jerry

The thing to bear in mind is that interference on freeview is more noticeable when it happens, known as the digital cliff. On analogue it just starts to get snowy. You may need to make changes to your aerial as there are number of anomaly's with the current frequency allocation which mean they are either low power or off of the optimum for the aerial group for analogue. This will be rectified when the switch over occurs in 2012. In the meantime pay a visit to

and look at the retailer section fro recommendations for your transmitter.

As an example in East Suffolk the ITV mux is very low powered out of Sudbury, so as not to interfere with Dutch TV, which makes reception marginal in bad weather regardless of aerial etc.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Don't tell Jerry that.