Heljan announce price increase for 'Kestrel'.

The following from Heljan A/S

< quote >

As you will be aware the current global economic crisis has put pressure on both raw material cost and exchange rates.

We have looked at the 'KESTREL' project and for it to remain viable (due to the limited numbers) we will have to increase the retail price to £119.95.

It is not a decision we have taken lightly and hope you understand the reasons behind it.

< /quote >

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news:at-dnbcGsa9EUb snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Do they say how many are being produced? One website is suggesting a "limited edition of 4000" which doesn't sound very limited to me!

David

Reply to
David Jackman

Then you neeed to buy a dictionary!

Reply to
Jerry

"David Jackman" wrote

I believe 4,000 is correct.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

B.S. from Heljan

Fuel and raw material costs have fallen dramatically from their peak levels since the recession first took hold. The Pound has also fallen dramatically in value relative to other currencies over the last few weeks and this is just an excuse to restore profit margins to the level they were before.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Which makes imports more expensive, hence the price rise.

And why shouldn't they?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Err, one is getting *less* Euros and USD [1] for every UKP.

[1] I haven't checked other currencies but those two are the relevant ones here
Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

I don't think so Jerry - it's not so long ago that you got around US$2 for every GBP, now it's nearer $1.50.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's what I said, the UKP buys less USDs or Euros!

12 months ago 1 UKP bought 2 USD, now it buys ~ 1.50 USD. 12 months ago one UKP bought 1.41 Euros, today on UKP buys ~1.18 Euros. [1] [1]
might wrap in the above URL
Reply to
Jerry

Exactly, $1.50 is *less* than $2, hence imports are more expensive and Heljan have had to increase their prices.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But the cost of fuel and raw materials have droppped even faster during the same period so they can no longer be used as an excuse to raise prices. Also like Britain, Denmark is outside the Euro currency zone.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Jerry

I've been hit worse by the fall in the value of the Pound than anyone else. My shipping costs have also risen disproportionately as a consequnce but I can't raise my prices because my customers simply don't have the money to pay it. They've been hit themselves by rising food and fuel prices and nobody has given them an increase to compensaate for it.

I've yet to hear a company announce "Due to a dramatic fall in the cost of oil and raw materials we are reducing our prices to customers."

(kim)

Reply to
kim

According to that chart a "0.11%" rise in the value of the Danish Kroner against the UK Pound over the last month!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The petrol station at the end of the road has just done that ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But do you know anyone that uses petrol who've reduced their prices as a result?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Did Heljan wait until the entire allocation was already sold before announcing this "price increase"?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Jerry" wrote

Yes, sorry, now I've read correctly what you wrote.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why? In the conext of the average RTR batch size, 4000 isn't particularly limited.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But it is if one is talking about *total production* from the mould tooling - assuming that Heljan will be taking a sledge hammer to the tooling afterwards.

It's still limited, the fact that a number has been quoted means that by definition the production quantity is limited, the 4001st customer will be disappointed!...

Also, the figure 4000 (probably) wasn't chosen by accident, assuming it is the actual production quantity and not... think about it. :~)

Reply to
Jerry