Heljan website rehash

The new improved Heljan website is now up and running at the same address

One interesting point, at
is that the RRP for the Dogfish wagons has been reduced from £20 to £15 following "positive comment" about the model at Warley which leads them to think that it'll be a good seller! Also, the "Production Plan" reveals the identities of further 57/3s,

57/6s and some more lovely "heritage" 47 liveries (including GWR 47500 and NSE 47581) and that the blue 33 will now be 065 instead of 059.

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

All I get is a blank page continually reloading

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

"Mike Parkes" wrote

Works ok for me but try this hyperlink

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Turns out you need cookies enabled for some daft reason

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Ok, it works for me too - but why is the english version so badly translated from the danish?

Reply to
John Ruddy

Any reason why the only green 33 will be a post TOPS re-paint, and not a

60's original?
Reply to
John Ruddy

Presumably because it was translated by a Dane whose English isn't up to scratch! Their English is far better than my Danish (or whatever it's called) though!!!

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

John Ruddy wrote:-

I would guess because that would require an older body style whereas the repaint can make use of the existing body moulding? A 60's original will probably follow later.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Were there any major body style changes between the 60's and the 80's? I can't recall any, though I could be wrong.

Reply to
John Ruddy

That just goes to show what sticklers for accuracy Heljan must be :o)

Notice also there is no early version of the Class 57 in Freightliner livery although that *could* be to do with use of the company trade-mark.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The exhaust arrangement was changed during the pre-TOPS era (D6581 was the first locomotive treated) so if Heljan are intending at some stage to do an accurate 1960s 33 they will need to change the tooling.

Russell W, Huddersfield

Reply to
Russell Wykes

"kim" wrote

Hasn't stopped them putting the company trade mark on a variety of class

47s!

Could it be that the 57/0s are somewhat different to the later 57/3 & 57/6 locos? I don't know, but I think they've missed a trick by not releasing the earlier version.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The engine exhaust was rearranged. The original silencer was prone to Deltic-style fires, and was disconnected. I'm trying to find out what the original arrangement was so I can draw it on my CAD system, but from photos it seemed to be exposed and sit in a well just inboard of the control cubicle at No2 end. When disconnected, the entire area was covered with a removable panel, bolted down, so perhaps some survivors still carry the silencer (specially for me to measure?). The GRP engine hatch had a rectangular hole added (subtracted?) for a vertical exhaust uptake instead.

I know someone who encountered Heljan's survey team going over a preserved 33, so perhaps they're limited to the same information as an amateur like me!

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

That was before the announcement of Bachmann's 57. You can sell anything you like until somebody makes a complaint. My guess is that Heljan's 47 will have sold out before Bachmann's version arrives. In the meantime it has stopped Heljan putting the Thunderbirds logo on the 57.

Wasn't there a row over the use of Royal Mail's logo on models some years ago?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Still won't open in AOL, had to use Internet Explorer and a third party server instead.

If this is the "improved" website, just how bad was it before?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

No it wasn't; the latest batch of 47s includes one in Freightliner livery from memory.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Ruddy" wrote Were there any major body style changes between the 60's and the 80's? I can't recall any, though I could be wrong.

The only mods were the 33/0 upgrade to 33/1 with the fitting of the "bagpipe" system to the front of the cabs to allow push pull ops with EMUs. Only one of these ever ran in Green, all the rest were returned to service in Blue (with full yellow ends?) but still with "D" numbers.

This may also answer the original question - "Any reason why the only green

33 will be a post TOPS re-paint, and not a 60's original?" - maybe all had been painted blue with D numbers still, so there were no green locos with tops ala some other classes.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Well it's certainly not called swedish (we have to remind americans some times). And I have to say I'm embarassed that Heljan has not done a proper job translating the english on their website. This is a common phenomenon in our small nation, but just because somebody has told you your english is good doesn't mean you have to offer your services as a translator the next day. As a former emplyee in advertising I've seen some toecurling things, languagewise. Oh, regarding the reduced price on the Dogfish (further along in the thread) do note that prices on Heljan's British models are up to 25 % lower than on the danish ones. We're slightly miffed by that fact in this country.

-Søren

Reply to
Søren Monies

Well that's halved the possible sales...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Søren Monies" wrote

I suspect they've been forced into reducing the price of their Dogfish due to *very* poor advance orders. Even withe the new 25% lower price, these wagons will be at least 50% more expensive than any comparable wagon (say Hornby's recent retooled HAA hopper) on the UK market.

I clearly know nothing of the Danish model market, but is there much competition for Heljan from other manufacturers? I would also guess that the Danish market is rather smaller than that in Britain, with tooling & manufacturing costs having to be recouped from much lower volume of sales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner