Testing a 3 rail locomotive

Is there any way of testing a 3 rail locomotive without having a 3 rail layout?

I have an old HD 2-6-4 4MT and want to know whether it runs. I only have a 2 rail layout so need some help here.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
squidk

wrote

Connect a pair of wires to your 2-rail controller (controlled DC output) and then apply the other end of one wire to the pick-up skate between the wheels of the 3-rail loco and touch the other wire to one of the driving wheels - that should tell you whether it works or not.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sorry but is this a real question?...

See that silver strip under the loco, in the middle between the driving wheels, that is the pick up 'shoe' and is what you need to supply power to or the return from - if you want to see it running on your layouts track-work you will need to remove one pole (ve + or -) of the power supply to the track (both wheels of an axle are common and thus a dead short), you will then need to either have a centre

3rd rail or some form of fly lead connected to the afore mentioned centre pick up.

The other option is to modify someone like the Peco Loco testing 'rolling road' to incorporate a centre 3rd rail - which is the course of action I would suggest!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Just one little question- is it a Hornby-Dublo third-rail loco? I recollect that some of the continental manufacturers used AC rather than DC with their third-rail or stud contact locos, and a 12V dc supply wouldn't work with these. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"HD 2-6-4 4MT", so 99.99999E percent sure that it is :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"BH Williams" wrote

Well as Hornby Dublo produced a 4MT 2-6-4T and that's what the original poster claimed it was, I see no reason to think that it would be anythings else.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John,

Of course. Thanks a lot and BTW it does go - although sluggishly - so I have got a runner after all.

Reply to
squidk

wrote

If it's sluggish then it almost certainly needs re-magnetising. Use it without this at your peril because it will cause the motor armature to burn out. The only place I know which currently offers a remagnetising service is Wakefield Model Railway Centre -

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Mea culpa! I missed the bit about the HD 2-6-4t.... Doh!!!! Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Sarcastic git.

DaS

Reply to
David Smith

Hmm. I don't think Jerry was being sarcastic at all. Facetious maybe, but what's wrong with that? As for him being a git, I have no knowledge of his bloodline. Do you have, perhaps, have some better information? Are you, in fact, his father....?

Now, *that* is being sarcastic!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Stop talking about yourself!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Jerry, you had the high ground until that moment.

Now please promise me you will *stop* doing this tit-for-tat stuff which is neither funny nor helpful.

And I promise you will be happier for knowing that you hold the high ground.

Please?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

The message from "Steve W" contains these words:

Now please promise me you will *stop* doing this tit-for-tat stuff.

Or does the N/S divide involve something different? 8-))

Reply to
David Jackson

And the continental Three rail AC locos are quite happy to run on DC as well. But the opposite is not true, DC locos will not run on AC. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Well, whatever the nearside divide is, I'm sure it is an important subject worthy of full consideration, but the issue here is Jerry and helping him to achieve his full potential as a valuable contributor to this newsgroup.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Your comments have got me think though, considering that we are talking about a 40 plus year old model, the motor might not be to happy trying to run via a modern controller, something like the old resistance ma type controller (the old H&M or [Tri-ang -] Hornby) should be fine though.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from "Steve W" contains these words:

You've been on the Watney's Red (do they still make that weasel-water down there in the deep south or was it old stock?) - try "North-South" instead of "nearside".

Reply to
David Jackson

I remeber those beasts- the Marshall (Hornby) and then the Duette. No need for heating in the garden shed that served as a railway room.... Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Why should I try that?

Cheers, Steve