Largish DCC ready locomotive 1955-1965 in 00.

Hi All,

Would like suggestions please for a good running, DCC ready, well detailed,

00 gauge Steam Locomotive which ran in the period 1955 to 1965.

I want to be able to fit a MRC 1627 SynchroSound decoder which needs a fair bit of room internally, so this would be a consideration, although I suppose I could fit the speaker into the tender.

My modelling preference is mainly GWR branchline based loosely on Kingsbridge (devon) station and the branchline from Brent (GWR through station on Exeter to Plymouth mainline), I have room at the far end of the loft to include Brent and run a couple of mainlines around the loft.

The advantage of this is that a great many different engines from all over the BR network ran over these rails during his time, including Merchant Navy and A4 class engines (not that I am particularly looking at these) so most locomotives of this period are worth a look.

I also have a preference for Bachmann models, although if a good, suitable, other manufacturers engine is suggested, I may well be tempted.

Thanks in anticipation of you replies.

Regards, Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:40:04 GMT, "Edward Bray" said in :

I think the 8F fits the bill as far as time goes, and I can certainly say that the Hornby model is an excellent runner, if slightly noisy, and nicely detailed. Mine's running on a TCS micro decoder, a larger one would probably need to be tender mounted.

The best bits about the 8F model are its superb slow running and its power. I have yet to find a load it will not pull up the steepest incline on my layout, given enough weight over the driving wheels to maintain traction.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Been looking at Hornby's R2404 Resolven Grange, anyone heard anything good or bad about this one?

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

"Edward Bray" wrote

A little bit gutless by all accounts.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Cheers John.

Suggestions then?

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

"Edward Bray" wrote

I suppose if you're not wanting to haul more than four or five coaches a 'Grange' might be suitable, but I've never been inside one so can't comment on the amount of available space. As you say though the tender might be one option.

The Bachmann 'Hall' may also be worth considering, but I think you *would* be limited to a tender installation with that, bearing in mind the location of the DCC socket at the rear of the loco chassis.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ignore me: brain on half power.