Eastcoast/Midland mainline?

I am modelling a fictional shared former LMS/LNER mainline set in the

1957-63 period, with a single branchline terminus at the station.

A couple of questions please:

  1. It is reasonable to assume that there were 4-track mainlines (2 fast, 2 slow/freight) in the "north of England" (either ex-LMS or ex-LNER)?

  1. Would it be correct to model signals as semaphore or lights? If lights, what type of lights would be correct - (eg red/amber/green or amber/green/amber/red)?

Thanks in anticipation

PETER

Reply to
Peter Tomlin

"Peter Tomlin" wrote

Not sure what you mean by 'set' unless it's station, of which there were numerous shared examples in the Yorkshire area for starters.

The single branchline terminus is more difficult, as these were not too common in Yorkshire, although the Whitwood (freight only branch) started in Castleford, and the Worth Valley branch at Keighley stations, both saw trains operated by former LMS and LNER locos.

Certainly numerous examples in Yorkshire.

Both were semaphore & colour light signals were commonplace throughout Yorkshire, but I have to say I can't recall what type of colour light would have been prevalent during your period.

John.

Reply to
John Turner