The Fireless Locomotive

Not only mine shafts.

Any old pit in the ground can contain dangerous levels of poisonous and / or potentially explosive gas.

Our gas detectors inlet pipe used to be lowered into a meter pit and a hand pump used to pass the atmosphere over the sensors. Then, whilst one person stayed topside, the person going into the pit used to hang the detector around his neck as local 'pockets' of gas were possible. On the smaller pits with a relatively large opening we vented by keeping the lid open for a few minutes prior to testing & entering but on larger pits with only a small opening mechanical ventilation was required.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

2cb-

What are you saying Greg !

No more New Zealand lamb ?

No more wool socks that keep my feet warm even when wet ?

How did you let this happen ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

No, they are a federation of states under the U.S. government, much as Canada is a federation of provinces, although Quebec likes to consider itself a "nation".

The EU is (supposedly) a voluntary association of sovereign countries.

Reply to
MartinS

92cb-

No because the insect population would rise thus needing more chemical to control them.

The cases of hay fever and other pollen related allergies would also rise.

Just think of all those rotting animal carcasses left in the fields as dead money ( no pun intended ).

Like it or not us humans are part of a linked food chain

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

No Way!!!

I happened to catch a SNL special the other night featuring skits with Mike Myers (a Canadian of British parentage with a Scots grandmother). Included was my favourite Wayne's World skit involving a dream sequence with Madonna, who snogs Wayne and utters such gems as: "Way!", "Not!" and "Monkeys might fly out of my butt."

Reply to
MartinS

Nortemericanos.

People from other American countries don't like to be told they're not Americans.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

In what sense is it a mistake to think that (to take our two examples) "north" and "gas" have no meanings???

"North" n. region or cardinal point opposite to the midday sun. (etc) The entire entry is longer, but it in fact doesn't mention Wolf or "America". "Gas" n elastic fluid such as air ... one not liquid or solid ... (etc)

Of course it's your right. You can be as stupid as you want.

I'm left wondering what yanks do when they want to fill their cars with gas rather than gas.

I'm _not_ suggesting that the usages I learned are the only correct ones, I'm suggesting that to call something that isn't gas "gas" when that liquid becomes a gas in use and when there is a gas that is a commonly used alternative to "gas" is stupid.

I've never been guilty of that. That would appear to be yet another example of you confusing yourself with your own terminology.

You're at it again - the 1000 miles is ocean, all ocean, with no way to drive around. It's an extremely violent piece of ocean. Last year/this year two Australians rowed across in a canoe, it took them over 3 months. There aren't airports at the 1000 mile mark by a considerable distance in either direction. The two countries are foreign to each other.

Are there a lot of stupid yanks?

Reply to
Greg Procter

I guess I should have warned you that I was supporting your apparent viewpoint. I've never yet been anything but alive on saturday nights since I was born.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You may have missed the fact that this is an international forum - I at least try to minimise colloquialisms when I imagine others won't understand them. Terms like "far North" probably invoke a different set of thoughts in the northern hemisphere as compared to in New Zealand.

Reply to
Greg Procter

We still have more lamb than there are buyers! It's just that the total amount keeps dropping. You Brits and yanks keep bombing our customers in the ME. As for wool, the Chinese can make it out of oil products and some funny blue stuff much cheaper.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

If they're in New York or California, they will go to a CNG station.

Elsewhere, they're probably SOL.

We had CNG (compressed natural gas) in Ontario, but it didn't catch on. I don't know if you can still buy it. Toronto Transit either scrapped or converted all its CNG buses to diesel. You can buy LPG (liquefied propane), but it's mostly used for BBQ tanks. Some years ago it was used by taxis and police cars but it doesn't vaporise well in low temperatures.

Reply to
MartinS

Having worked in London a few years back (well, we all make mistakes...) I'd certainly not lump you together any more. The pub I used regularly was the Tuesday night-off haunt of the Antipodian bar staff from the area and formed two distinct camps - separted by measurable gulf!

And whinge, my god I thought we were supposed to be the world champions ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My perception is that the Americans view the difference between a State and Federal US as a much more significant divide than we do between English, Scots etc.

Interestingly, some years back (early 1900's?) Texas threatened to acceed from the Union and apply for membership of the Commonwealth. Still apparently technically possible.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , Greg Procter writes

Maybe the archbishop of Canterbury would disagree with that.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , beamendsltd writes

You're joking! The world whinging champions are the Australians. They keep banging on about "whinging poms" in an attempt to deflect the opprobrium away from themselves onto us. You don't have to believe them!

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

You sat in the Australian section! ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I must admit I never thought to ask him! ;-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

The phenomenon of "whinging Poms" is often very evident here in New Zealand, both with immigrants and tourists. I'd put it down to our different cultures and the immigrant/tourist being out of their depth in many situations. For example, in employment, a New Zealand worker expects to be asked to do tasks from time to time which it seems a Pom would consider either to be beneath them, to be above their abilities or just outside their job descriptions. Pom tourists seem to expect more controlled and regimented situations than are normal here. eg the only place one finds a queue here is in banks - elsewhere we manage quite well without them. An example that presented itself to me recently was an English couple who had driven over the Takaka hill 25km of narrow windy road reaching 795m from sealevel and back with multiple hairpins etc. They complained that there were almost no crash barriers or centre dividers and they were unsure that they were prepared to drive back. While I haven't experienced it myself I can imagine Aussies whining in the opposite circumstances.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Quite so, and the US citizen in question wouldn't believe that either...

[...]
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir