The Fireless Locomotive

I'm denying your phrase "intrinsic meanings."

[...]

Nice try, Greg. You've dropped the "intrinsic" from your attempted refutation, and you've separated my denial from the phrase I'm denying - which is your phrase, not mine.

Weasel.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I understood that the difference was that a Kiwi has a chip on both shoulders.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

No, no no.... The beneficial effect of growing the tree in the first place is irrelevant. That's the past. How you deal with it from here on is what's important. Your choices are :

1) recycle the card. This uses less energy (from fossil fuels) than it would to make new cardboard from another tree. Into the bargain, the tree that you would have cut down for new cardboard, gets to continue converting CO2... 2) You throw it on a bonfire. In so doing, you waste the energy locked-up inside it and release the CO2. Into the bargain, you create a requirement for another tree to be cut down and more fossil fuel to be burnt in order to process it into new cardboard.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmm, yes, we do tend to be well balanced people.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The option of being English was not offered.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

US states have their own governments - England doesn't. Could Alaskan politicians vote to impose education fees on Texas? I've no idea.

Texas has never really had "a historic constitutional association with an existing Commonwealth member", has it? (Mozambique and Cameroon were special cases...).

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

The whinging Antipodeans have pretty much gone from the London pubs, which are now full of assorted Slavic totty instead.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Sure, "English" really refers to a variety of foreign invaders and occupiers of the lands of England. It's a catch-all term for people disowned by the people living where their ancestors originally came from and as such "the English" doesn't exist. My immediate ancestors came from England, but the existing family tree shows the addition of Germans and French, presumably to families consisting of Angles, Danes, Saxons and Vikings. No "English" there. ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Huhh, you've finally handed over full control to GWB and co???

Reply to
Greg Procter

Only foreign policy. But Scottish MPs were able to vote to make English students pay, safe in the knowledge that devolution meant that their own constituents won't be affected by it - so there were brownie points from the party leadership for showing loyalty, with no risk of a backlash from the voters.

(at this point someone will usually say "but the English have taken our oil", then someone from Orkney or Shetland will cough and say "/whose/ oil exactly?")

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

But on that basis we're all Nigerians - or wherever the rift valley is ....

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Now I would guess its irony rather than satire. Suprising really cos thought the americans dont do irony !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well no not really cos the Scots get more money per head than .....

Coat ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

When I was doing consulting work for a local aluminum company, we had visiting engineers from a plant in Ghana. They laughed when I told them they were the only folks I knew that could honestly claim to be natives :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The last time some states did that we went to war to stop them.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

They don't mean to - it just comes out that way when their brainwash dogma accidentally aligns with reality.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

So the "United" actually refers to application of force rather than general agreement! Don't they have a similar situation in the "United Kingdom"? =8^O

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

But that applies to pretty much everywhere except a cave in Africa (or, for some Americans, a garden in Mesopotamia).

Exactly the same could be said about the rest of the UK.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Irony is one technique of satire, yes. (I did a major paper on the varieties of satirical techniques many years ago, and a thesis on Swift's satiric verse, so I Know Whereof I Speak. ;-)) Irony can also be used to generate pathos, and is much used in tragedy. See Oedipus Rex: Laios and Jocasta's attempts to thwart prophecy created the conditions that guaranteed it.

There are varieties of irony too. If you're _really_ interested, I recommend Empson's 7 Types of Ambiguity, still a necessary text IMO, despite its age.

But enough of lit crit. This NG is supposed to be about model trains, right?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No it isn't. Managed tree growth is a feasible way of doing something about CO2. We need materials to live, so using trees in a sustaunable manner is the only sensible thing to do. Plant a million acres of trees and then use that timber, replacing as you go, and there will be, on average, a million acres of trees worth of CO2 removed from the atmosphere. It only ever gets put back in the air if the trees are not replanted.

That's far too simplistic. For the amount of cardboard we are talking about, the energy expended to process it would far outweigh any benefit gained. And anyway, in the real world, that cardboard will probably end up in landfill. Relacing a tree reaching maturity with a youthful tree using 3 x the C02 is a Good Thing.

But it doesn't release any additional C02 - that CO2 would be released into the atmosphere anayway. As long as the tree that the box was created from is replaced, there is no change in overall CO2. Thats the point.

Which is a lot better that getting another barrel of oil out of the ground to fuel the lorries taking a dozen cardboard boxes for a nice long drive.

A thought occurs - are you a city dweller by chance? I ask as so often the simplistic recycling schemes often omit to mention the self-defeating 20 or more mile round trip to the recycling point (much more in many cases) that large parts of the country have to endure.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd