This could mean the end of the lineside hut as we know it...

I have taken delivery of my first Peco PL-11s. Only one problem remains: to come up with a plausible cover story for the great big thing beside the line.

Or maybe I could cover it with a hut? Oh, wait.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

You can extend the thing using a bit of wire, so the motor could be under a hillock, haystack, cottage, bunker (WW2 and after), grounded coach body (Ratio 4 wheeler kit) etc. Peco do an extension (or used to) but from memory that didn't extend very far I'm looking forward to seeing the line when you add the scenery.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

If buying Peco solenoids, get the higher resistance, lower current "DCC compatible" ones. The originals have problems with many DCC accessory decoders. Whilst you might not be DCC controlled turnouts yet, that could change.

You need a bit of warped space-time continuum, then they will be smaller things to hide....

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

But he's talking about PL-11s. Has anyopne measured their resistance yet, or compared their performance on DCC?

Alternatively, use a CDU.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I fitted my first PL11 some weeks ago -- I did ask here for any comments on performance but had zero response. I took this to indicate either no experience or more likely no interest. It works well but unlike most of its other 75 companions does not inform me aurally that it has done something! I do not notice it and actually had to look in order to find it on one occasion. If you really want to hide it then I suggest a strip of double sided carpet tape sprinkled with suitable grey/black ballast or oily soot flavoured mucky finish!

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

How about one of these?

MartinS

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:57:01 +0100, "Mike Smith" said in :

Me too!

Some more in-progress shots here, the junction corner is now about half done:

Unfortunately Michael's camera is not as good as the wife's so they are not quite right. I'm about to try adding a closeup of the loading dock, I built the walls from Linka and I think that looks quite effective even fairly close up.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

OK, I have now got a couple of decent(ish) pictures of my installation of the PL-11. No flames, please, I know my modelling is a bit ham-fisted and I am really still learning a lot of stuff.

The ballast looks less bright than that really, honest, and will tone down a treat with ink wash :-)

More in context at , I think

shows off the Linka brickwork quite well, I am not displeased with that but will want to work more on the painting and weathering techniques obviously.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?