Road vehicle number plates

With the great selection of 4 mm road vehicles now available, I want to
customise some of the numberplates.
Does anyone know what typeface/font would be most suitable for 1950s style
(white on black, 3.5 inches high) numberplates?
Thanks.
Reply to
John Nuttall
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:02:47 +1100, "John Nuttall" said in :
Arial is OK but you have to be careful about the font weight and use a good printer (laser not inkjet) I reckon. I am doing this myself as we speak :-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
"Charles Wright" font ?
Had a quick look on the =91net and found
Strongly suggest you virus check the file prior to use
Chris
Reply to
chris.brett58
"Charles Wright" font ?
Had a quick look on the ?net and found
Strongly suggest you virus check the file prior to use
*****
Chris
Chris, that looks like what I want. Many thanks.
Reply to
John Nuttall
"Charles Wright" font ?
Had a quick look on the ?net and found
Strongly suggest you virus check the file prior to use
Chris
*****
Chris -
It appears that Charles Wright is not available as a free font but a derivative called Mandatory is available at

Thanks again.
Reply to
John Nuttall
Until that miserable lot in Europe started to dictate the style used on plates there used to be some classic ones.
I used to like the raised 3D type of plastic or chrome digits and the one's made up of chrome lines.
Chris
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
Reply to
chris.brett58
Trev -
That's a fascinating document which I have saved for reference, but the fonts don't look right to me. Perhaps they are not intended to be representative.
Reply to
John Nuttall
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:02:47 +1100, "John Nuttall" said in :
Just as an aside, a 600dpi laser seems to be adequate for the job of printing these and I think if you print them in white on black onto laser transparency film and then paint the reverse silver you will get the right effect, though ideally they should of course be embossed.
I guess you could photo etch onto PCB if you care that much :-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
I use silver decal paper, spray it with matt varnish (Testors Dullcote), print the numberplates with a Laserjet then spray again. I carefully cut out the plate, leaving a narrow silver border. They look very good.
Reply to
MartinS
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 19:43:38 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk said in :
DMU 828A on a willow green mini van, that was the van my dad used while he was building the house I grew up in :-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Site Timeline