Painting road wheels

Hi. I'm typically an aircraft modeler but need a break and am going to play in the armor space for awhile. Does anyone have a neat technique for painting the rubber portion of tank road wheels? Thanks...

Reply to
David E. Young

"David E. Young" wrote

Get a thin, plastic, drafting circle template. Normally you can find one that is a good match for the particular wheel. Paint the wheel "rubber color" first then spray the center through the template. Remember to mask the adjacent holes.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I paint the whole thing what ever particular color I have chosen for the rubber portion. Then using a drafting stencil (I have one with circles that range from 1/4" ~ 11/2" each is 1/32" larger than the previous)to serve as my mask and paint the hub and wheel. I'm usually pretty careful with it, and I very seldom have the wheel color bleed onto the painted rubber portion.

Curtis IPMS 40355

David E. Young wrote:

Reply to
IPMS 40355

and if that doesn't work, always remember that a little mud will hide any painting error with armor!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

This is what a lot of armor road wheels look like.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Rob, that link won't work for me. I assume its a pic of mud covered bogies?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

It won't work as posted because the URL wraps around - did you get the entire URL which includes a second line of HTML code ending at ".php"?

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

go to

and navigate to the M3A1 folder. You'll see a collection of Bradley and M109 road wheels that are in factory finishes and look less than neatly painted.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Thanks everyone.

dey