Mecanum Wheels

Hi,

I'm working on a project for which mecanum wheels have lot of potential. (not omnidirectional wheels!) Does anyone know a source? I saw the same question was asked a few years ago but without any resolution, so I figure it's worth trying again.

Thanks, Sean

Reply to
Sean Munson

That was the type of wheel I had in mind in the topic I started a few days ago "Laptop-Webcam Robot for the real world". In one of my messages is a link to a manufacturer of a forklift and other items using this style of wheel.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

acroname and kornylak.com

Reply to
blueeyedpop

When I visited those sites, I only saw regular omniwheel style wheels. Not the Mecanum type where the smaller wheels around the perimeter are rotated out of the plane by about 45 degrees.

If I missed something on those pages, please point it out.

Joe Dunfee.

Reply to
cadcoke3

Try contacting some of the folks at the Mechatronics department of Massey University at

. I don't know where they got them from, but we have several projects using Mecanum wheels such as those you refer to in the workshop - I'm just not sure whether we bought the wheels elsewhere, or they were manufactured in-house. Either way, they might be able to help.

Reply to
Noblepoet

Interesting concept. I wonder if it would be possible to install such wheels on a RC car (ackerman style steering).

Reply to
Padu

Hi Sean and All,

I'm with Massey University, and we made our mecanum wheels ourselves.

Happy to send you the CAD files if they are of any use to you. The CAd files are still of the first generation of wheel we made which works great, but I would probably modify the deisgna bit if I was making another set.

Let me know if you wnat the files.

Cheers Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

I would be interested in seeing the design if it is not a lot of trouble. The diameter of the smaller wheels I see on your web site is an issue for my application, so I won't be trying to actually make them the same as you. Mostly I am interested in the general concept of how they were put together. Some images might do the job as well as the cad files, if they are not easily accessable.

Have you looked into reducing the number of the smaller wheels, but increasing the diameter of the smaller wheels? Do you see any barriers to doing that?

You can E-mail the design to the following munged address; joed AT sight-sound DOT com I have access to AutoCAD, Solidworks, and can import several formats as well.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3