Milwaukee Road decals

Does anyone know a source for locomotive number decals for The Milwaukee Road in the late 1940s? What I need are the gold numbers with red outline that were used on their early diesels that were in the orange, maroon and gray livery, specifically the Alco RSC-2 and Fairbanks-Morse H-10-44. I have so far been unable to locate anything-- Milwaukee specific or general lettering sheets-- that duplicate or even approximate this style of number. Thanks.

(to reply remove Boeing jet from address) ______________ C. Marin Faure GB36-403 "La Perouse" Bellingham, Washington

Reply to
C. Marin Faure

Here's what Google found.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

C.=A0Marin=A0Faure wrote: Does anyone know a source for locomotive number decals for The Milwaukee Road in the late 1940s? What I need are the gold numbers with red outline that were used on their early diesels that were in the orange, maroon and gray livery, specifically the Alco RSC-2 and Fairbanks-Morse H-10-44. I have so far been unable to locate anything-- Milwaukee specific or general lettering sheets-- that duplicate or even approximate this style of number. Thanks.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

You might also consider using two different sizes of decals. A 2 or 3 point larger red decal under the gold to get the border. The hardest part will be centering the gold, and you might have to use a white 'sub decal' under the gold.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

I don't know if this will help, but here goes.

Several years ago I bought some Chesapeake Western (small line in Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) decals at a local train show. They came from Shell Scale Decals; 2140 Houston Mines Road, Troutville, VA 24175. I don't recall if they had a booth at the show, or if I purchased from a dealer. I think this is a small company specializing in N&W, but perhaps they can point you in the right direction. Don

Reply to
Solaroak01

Unless the road number only has ones in it, it won't work that way.

Try printing out a number on a sheet of paper, and then the same number on a second sheet in a slightly larger font. Hold the two sheets up to a light source (I used my PC screen) and try to get them to line up -- you can't get a uniform border around the digits 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9.

Reply to
Mark Mathu