Heljan 'Clayton' Class 17s

I'm surprised no-one has passed comment on here that the first of the new Heljan Class 17 'Clayton' diesels hit the shops yesterday. Yesterday we received two examples of the new loco, both in BR blue livery.

Initial impressions are that the model nicely captures the atmosphere of the prototype, but the model feels quite light. It will be interesting to see just what the haulage capacity will be when the locos start to appear on modellers' layouts.

I desperately need one of the green locos (with small yellow panels) for my Scottish branchline, so can't wait for that variant to arrive.

Reply to
John Turner

Should nicely match the haulage capacity of the prototype, then...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Ordered one last year, am awaiting delivery with baited breath! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I thought baiting Badgers was illegal?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

The removable cab is handy but the windows look terrible.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Surely they should have been fitted from the inside of the cab?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Which one's of the 7 or 8 offered are beginning to trickle through to suppliers?

Reply to
traction

"kim" wrote

I think the externally fitted glazing is an attempt to represent the heavy framing of the originals. I don't think it looks bad at all.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"traction" wrote

From memory catalogue numbers 17021 & 17051 - both BR blue, one with 'D' removed from number.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

One of these looks like like a Clayton to me and one them looks like a toy:

Judith-Edge kit:

Heljan:
(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes, unweathered RTR models generally do look like shiny toys, that's why some modellers like to improve them with weathering etc.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:57:57 +0100, "John Turner" said in :

I'm inclined to agree. However, as a diesel n00b, how would I know whether I wanted the large or the small yellow panel on a green one? Is there a history of BR diesel liveries on the wibble somewhere that people can recommend as tolerably accurate?

Back in the day I had whole books of photos and paintings of military uniforms from a single army and a single conflict. I hope it's not that complex!

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Best I can offer on this -

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

There are vast numbers of photo galleries on the web, many of them have the date of picture. So, you could google the running number and probably find a photo of the loco with a date.

Another source is good-old Wikipedia :-)

Crudely put, the original liveries were minus the yellow panels. The yellow arrived by the mid 60's as a safety warning device, and is still around in the paint rule book today. Blue started a bit later... Any colour you like from mid 90's.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote

Small yellow panels were introduced c. 1963 and these increased to full yellow fronts by 1966/7. First blue liveried locos (excluding the Experimental XP64 loco and stock) appeared from 1965 onwards. The 'D' loco number pre-fix for diesels was progressively abandoned from the end of steam in August 1968. TOPS numbering commenced around 1972/3, with the Woodhead electrics being the first to be renumbered.

Class 17s had small yellow panels from new (if my memory serves me correctly).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There is a technical answer to that question. Which one looks nicest? :-) That type of early diesel can only be green with a small panel because they just look wrong in blue!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Or, for accurate representation of the prototype, green and slightly charred.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Fixed!

See here:

Good to see the Heljan model runs every but as well as the prototype :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim