Ugliest UK kettle

Just a bit of fun ...

Nominations for the ugliest British steam locomotive.

I tend to favour King Henry VII, 1 of Go When Ready's 2 attempts at streamlining. Uck ... anymore anyone?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

The Q1 0-6-0, no contest.

Reply to
MartinS

They remind me of the turn of the centaury GWR Krugers but without a pony truck.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Bulleid's Leader class, also I second the vote for the GWR's attempt at streamlining,

Reply to
Spyke

Nice idea, as is the Q1

But it's gotta be the Kitson-Still, which did run in regular service on loan to the LNER in 1932-3.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

As a member of G and SWR Assoc I have to admit, Whitelegg's 4-6-4 tanks. And his rebuilds weren't much better.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

MartinS offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

Agreed, although Ivatt's Flying Pig comes a close second.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

In news:c1tjnp$1mvurb$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-163332.news.uni-berlin.de, Chris Wilson sprayed:

Well that there Q1 thingy's pretty darn ugly to my mind!

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@gawain.bughunter.co.uk, Spyke sprayed:

Hardly a class! And how can a box on wheels be ugly?

Reply to
GbH

"GbH" wrote

Why not a class? If I recall there were two built and a third close to completion before the plug was pulled on them.

I'd certainly suggest the Leader was pretty damned ugly even for a box! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Salvé "Chris Wilson" skrev i meddelandet news:c1tjnp$1mvurb$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-163332.news.uni-berlin.de...

It could be said that they arent actually British but they ran here and do run here , baldwins NG WD locos Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

You can't include that one in the contest - it would frighten all the other engines!!!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Well, at least they realised their mistake, and were able to restore the locos to original appearance eventually.

Some of the American streamlined designs of the 1930s were a little OTT.

Reply to
MartinS

As I understand it they were streamlined against the wishes of the CME because the Chairman said "these other railways have streamlined locos, so we must do likewise" or words to that effect. Obviously the CME did his best to make the Chairman see sense.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Always thought the Q1 had a bit of brutal elegance about its person myself!!

The GWR streamliners ?? get my vote.

Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

Maybe the GER moguls. Gawky-looking things. Or, more likely, some of Mr. P. Stirling's earlier designs, before Beattie, Beyor-Peacock and Sharp Stewart gave him some idea of what an engine should look like. Check out the earlier pages of D.L. Smith's "Locomotives of the Glasgow and South Western Railway" for some real horrors.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Maybe not the ugliest but Crosti boilered 9Fs were pretty nasty. The chimney near the cab must have been pretty ugly as far as the crew were concerned !

Richard.

Reply to
Richard J. Webb

Another candidate might be McIntosh's 0-8-0 loco for the Caledonian. It had a very long wheel base with very unequal axle spacings (to allow the firebox to sit between axles) and had the look of a sort of mis-shapen dachshund :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie