Re: Best train books?

My favorite is "Motive Power of the Union Pacific", showing their steam

> roster in great pictures. Hard to find a copy, though. > > snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: > >> What do you think are the best books about full size trains (not >> models)? I have "The Great Book of Trains" by Brian Hollingsworth and >> Arthur Cook. I think it's very good. It has illustrations, photos, and >> plenty of information about 310 locomotives. Only drawback is I wish it >> had more diagrams showing how things work. Anybody know of a book that >> is rich in diagrams of how trains work and goes in detail about that? >> I'm interested in the engineering and history of trains, and also >> photos & info showing what kind of locomotives go with what kind of >> passenger or freight cars. >>

Mine

Beyer Peacock Locomotive builders to the World Some interesting stuff there.

When the Steam Railroads electrified 2 edition - A good primer on North American Electrification What is interesting for me is a short section on a electrification in Brazil by BICC at 1500V dc In the case of the rolling stock they looked rather like Sydney suburban cars and the Overhead and wiring structures look like parts of the NSW Western electrification of the

1950's of which BICC was the prime contractor to the NSWGR.

The British Steam Locomotive Vol's 1 and 2 by O.S Nock there is some good info in this. Lots of info on the Austerity and BR standard designs.

Shay Titan of timer ??? Will this book come back into print.

Shale Railways of NSW updated edition. Includes info on the Newnes Shays.

Green Diesels story of the MLW/ALCO RSC-3 40 class and the BTH 41 class loco's on the NSWGR.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

No contest, British Steam Since 1900 by W.A.Tuplin, David and Charles

1969, Pan Books paperback 1973.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes