Useful drawings?

I am currently converting a pile of sketches on making simple N Gauge models
from (mainly) Peco kits, the sketches were mostly made in the 1980s. This is
rather time consuming and my models were made for fun so they tend to be a
bit on the crude side. I have put up the first re-done drawings at . . .

Does the group think this is a project worth continuing with given the ever
increasing range of high quality kits now on the market?
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike Smith
On 21/11/2006 18:21, Mike Smith said,
Uh-oh - shades of the never-ending "Traffic for Tickling" in RM that appeared for most of the last decade. :-)
Seriously, yes, it is worth continuing with the project. Anything out there that can encourage people to have a go themselves is A Good Thing. The information you have presented is neat, tidy and clear. There are several kit manufacturers that could well take note of your drawings. Go for it! You also need to plug it often but subtly so that people know it's there. Something like a URL in your signature, for instance...
Reply to
Paul Boyd
Definately Mike, they are excellent - but can you change them to OO. Agree about the DIY comment, have just finished brush painting a gem kit precursur tank in LMS livery and I recon its 'layout quality' as opposed to results of expert airbrush 'cabinet quality'. Do you want a picture ?
Simon
Reply to
simon
There's an incredibly rare colour photograph of "Bucephalus" taken in 1939 in the unimaginitively titled book "The London and Birmingham Railway Between Birmingham and Coventry". I very much regret that I don't have a digital scan of the page. At the time the picture was taken the engine was hauling suburban stock between Leamington and Nuneaton.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Thank you, I found Talbots photos in LNWR engines after I'd finished building it, now you say theres a colour photo when painting complete ! Will look out for that for when/if have a go at a precursor rather than the tank. In fact think have seen it at (not telling till been back !)
Simon
Reply to
simon
"Mike Smith" wrote in news:06qdnWfCf snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:
You're just fishing for compliments again aren't you? Come on admit it? . The answer is of course yes your drawings are very worthwhile and very useful.
BTW you may be interested to know that some of the drawings you sent me - wow thinking about it now - ages ago have inspired me. I'm just about to start on the 009 section of my layout and your drawings re auto-loading wagons from a building have got me desiging my own version for loading quary tipplers with waste from the quarry cutting shed. Keep up te good work!
Reply to
Chris Wilson
There is a colour photo of 25725 'Prince of Wales' 4-6-0 at Shrewsbury in 1938 in the not so rare or weirdly named Locos Illustrated No.97
There maybe other colour photos within later issues too.
Reply to
Kevin Martin
Thanks for the feedback - Being over 50 I am of the Airfix generation, I can't see a kit without wondering what else might be made from it! I enjoy this kind of thing but these days most people seem to prefer RTR and the N Gauge market has come on a bit in the last 20 years, there are now hundreds of RTR and kit wagons and vans out there. I was not sure if this was all a bit pointless given the range and quality of the commercial offerings. I'll try and focus on the things no one has yet produced, road-rail tanks on six wheeled chassis and the like. I am slightly wary of promoting the site, it's all on 'free' (dial-up) web space, I am currently rebuilding it to go on just two accounts so I no longer need to use friends webspace, but if it caught on there might be complaints about bandwidth.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to take a look.
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike Smith
The principles remain the same, so for OO mineral wagons just double the thickness of card etc, although I am not sure what chassis are available these days and lengths and widths would need adjusting for the chassis to hand. The Plastruct T section 'fineline' range is acceptable for OO, making things like the LMS soda ash wagon a real doddle, and lettering tarpaulins and the sides of low wagons is a lot easier at 4mm to the foot (you can get Gel ball-point pens with white ink, too thick for most N Gauge stuff but fine for OO). You can even get proper drop-centre wagon in OO, in N the wheel flanges are too large and (unless you want to get serious with couplings and the like) you cannot simply use smaller wheelsets from US models to drop the height. The Peco N Gauge chassis may lack fine detail (the V hangers are a bit on the heavy side) but being a one-piece moulding in 'glueable' material they are dead easy to cut about to get different wheelbases or body lengths, I would suspect the finer detail on OO chassis would make things a little more tricky. Those I have worked with were all solebars and buffer beams with an empty centre - great for modelling an unloaded LMS open frame conflat but difficult to adjust for length and wheelbase. There is now so much available in OO I am not sure my models have any relevance, all the standard wagons and vans are now available either RTR or as kits and firms such as Wizard Models (
) and 51A models (
) offer a splendid range of kits of more unusual wagon types (their website is worth a look, lots of info on the wagons, liveries and details. Good for their customers but a real boon to people working from scratch in other scales).
I'd love a pic of the loco. I gather they appeared on the Manchester to Chester line so I could use it for the section on Hale station as well as for the section on British steam locos.
Thanks for taking the time to comment on the drawings.
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike Smith
Compliments would be nice, but I expect to get rather more of the 'well, that's not right is it?' sort of comment - These are all a bit crude by modern standards, more train set than model railway, they might serve to provoke someone into doing a better job though, which would be nice.
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike Smith
"Mike Smith" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:
I've still got pictures to put up from "work in Progress" on the 00 side of things from Sping/Summer this year. Borrowed a sooper-dooper video camera from work - which also does stills and the software wouldn't work on my old WinMe Machine, net result I've got a tape sat on the desk in front of me waiting to be copied.
I've really got to get the site up again.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Here she is...
The colour plate in the book I mentioned is very much clearer than this. The platform awning seen behind the engine was destroyed by bombing just one year after this photo was taken and so is the only surviving reference as to what colour it might have been. I practically had an orgasm when I first found the colour plate in the book. I expect Enzo will too :o)
Reply to
kim
That is nice, but dont think could face doing another lined engine at the moment, although might be easier as thats lined black. How rare are colour photos ?
Simon
Reply to
simon
I've only ever seen two from that period and the other was so washed-out and grainy it may as well have been black & white.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Theres a nice one of a George 5th in LNWR lined black at the front of O.S. nock's LNWR Precursor Family but I cant tell if its a photo.
Simon
Reply to
simon

Site Timeline