Bachmann sound

I notice from the Bachmann website that dates have finally been displayed for the new DCC sound locos, although still without prices.

The 47 and 25 seem to be awaiting stock, where as the 20, 55 and 66 all seem to be Feb/Mar dates.

Anyone any ideas what the prices may be yet ? I quite fancy the blue 47 !

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

According to our Bachmann rep the class 66 will be the first sound-equipped loco to arrive on our shores. He cannot understand why a price has not been fixed as he seems to think these have already been manufactured and may even be on their way to the UK.

If they're now quoting Feb/Mar then the date seems to have slipped from last week when I was quoted Dec/Jan.

He seemed to think that we're probably looking at standard loco RRP plus GBP100.00 which would mean the sound equipped class 66 having an RRP of around GBP175.00 - far too expensive in my estimation, bearing in mind that some sound chips are now retailing in the USA for the equivalent of GBP40.00.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner said the following on 22/11/2006 10:38:

Well known law of UK economics - if something in the USA costs $80, it will cost £80 over here :-(

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Me too!

A bloke I spoke to yesterday said he had heard that the rrp would be arounf £200 . I hope that's utter tosh.

How much is a suitable sound decoder and all the gubbins? Last time I looked, it was over £100, which rules it out for me.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Agreed, but only if the market is willing to accept that. If everyone is willing to pay GBP175.00 for a sound-equipped 66 then that will be the price. If they sit on Bachmann's shelves then I'll guarantee the price will tuble VERY quickly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This from the company that 2 years ago at a DCC demo at Model Zone thought that I was a pratt to dare to ask why Bachmann don't prefit chips. No market for it and far too expensive and why should they. Definitely something wrong with there attitude towards their customers if they now think that in just two years they will stump up that sort of money for sound.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Adrian B" wrote

How much is a suitable sound decoder and all the gubbins? Last time I looked, it was over £100, which rules it out for me.

Adrian

SWD's chips now down to £80 ish quid (subject to VAT, postage and if you have the square speaker!) So on top of your £60 loco (Where traders have knocked something off the RRP) I would have thought tops £140 ???

Now if your going to mass produce for the market by a major firm, not a "cottage industry" like SWD, I would have thought that (even bulk buying chips from Loksound) Bachmann could come under that price. If it is more that a £120 then they can forget my pennies !

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"John Turner" wrote

If they sit on Bachmann's shelves then I'll guarantee the price will tuble VERY quickly.

John.

In that case, I think I will wait another year, let them de-bug and redesign any new tooling errors and catch the "sitting on the shelf" items. My rainy day money tin is not that well stocked, especially if I'm looking towards Kids in the next 18 months !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"John Turner" wrote

If they're now quoting Feb/Mar then the date seems to have slipped from last week when I was quoted Dec/Jan.

John.

Maybe for the 66, but the 25 was later....

December ? No doubt Warley then ? and guess who is at work !!! :-((((

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"John Turner" wrote I think they *should* be able to produce them at around GBP40-50 above the standard price of a loco. So in the case of a class 66 an RRP of around GBP125.00 would be acceptable and would sell. These would probably be discounted to GBP99.00 and at that level they would fly out of the shops.

John.

:-) Which is what WE ALL want ! (Well those of us who are DCC !)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I think they *should* be able to produce them at around GBP40-50 above the standard price of a loco. So in the case of a class 66 an RRP of around GBP125.00 would be acceptable and would sell. These would probably be discounted to GBP99.00 and at that level they would fly out of the shops.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is there any word on whose sound chip they are using? Given the US branch of Bachmann have just announced their locos (well, some) will come fitted with custom Tsunami's from Soundtraxx, I wonder who they will get them off?

The Tsunami is a very very good decoder, not the ultimate control of Loksound though very close, but the sound is a cut above IMHO. But - no diesel units yet, much to a lot of folks chagrin. And even here in Aust, that well known place of overcharging and ripping off, the price for a decoder is about Stg55 ($140 local).

Ah well, back to the track plan for the S&DJR from Templecombe to Bath Green Park - with a few bits missing from the middle :). At least the friend I am doing it for has seen the light and is using only steam outline, and a Tsunami fits very nicely into a 9F. However, a blind eye will have to be turned to his use of his DJH kit of the Lickey banker ... What can I say? He likes it...

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

At that price, a few would fly in my direction, but at £175 or even £140, I think sound will be staying firmly on my "wish list".

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

True. But that's because the pound is seen as a "repository of value", so it trades at much higher than its purchasing power. Whereas the dollar is slowly but surely sinking into oblivion.

Reply to
Wolf K

FWIW: An Atlas Trainmaster (hulking great diesel) "Silver Series" DCC retails for about $200Can, Atlas "Gold series" DCC sound sells for about $300Can, in CN or CP livery. The price difference reflects not only the additional cost of the sound chip, but also the two speakers and the assembly work which is not simple. However, IMO the price difference is not justified, but sound is big right now. (The prices also reflect the dropping value of the US Dollar in China, but that's another story.)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

If they get them from a manufacturer who already has a profitable business model covering all the R&D costs, then the marginal cost of producing an extra couple 1000 decoders for Bachmann would be peanuts, compared to the usual cost of a sound decoder. It also increases volumes for the manufacturer which has beneficial effects on their existing business model.

If the =A3100 extra is true then someone is making a killing, and Bachmann need to hone their negotiating skills.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I looked up the Broadway Limited site and an E Series with sound is $225 and and F $209. Adding on 17.5% vat and at 1.90 $ to the =A3 they are slightly more expensive than the suggested prices here so I couldn't see a cl 66 going for =A3125 with sound.=20

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

No, it because there is too much mark-up going on. £ per $ was acceptable when it was $1.50 to the £.

Josh

Reply to
Josh Haigh

Other costs have risen sharply during the same period. Were it not for the fall in the value of the dollar, importers would have had to pass-on those extra costs.

(kim)

Reply to
kim