Sound

Hi A question about Hornby, Bachmann engines. I am into Loksound, one major problem, a poor rail pickup engine sound stops and you have to restart the engine involving a time delay. Not very realistic. Now I keep my rails very clean, the problem is buying a loco that has a good pick up, but where is the info on rail pickup on Hornby or Bachmann, check the catalogues no info. Check out each catalogue and a few say pick on all wheels, and thats a few, Hornby with traction wheels well forget it if you want sound, it will cut out. Loksound chips wont work on Hornby traction wheels. So Bachmann, Hornby we need more info. If you think DCC is critical sound is more critical on rail pickup. As for Bachmann sound included engines I hope they have multi wheel pickup, but when they can deliver well not this year as ESU well not UK friendly and UK supply is well very low, No UK sounds on ESU to download so there must be a British firm out there that can produce a chip cheaper than ESU for what is a growing market. Lets face it a sound chip at =A390, when a camera of 7 meg pixels, 4x zoom costs =A380, who is getting ripped off by the Germans, Sorry to bore but model railway is a adult occupation now and the market is there, we just need the electronic products at the right price. OK if you use loksound and run Hornby engines with traction tyres with success let me know.

Reply to
colinwalker

as a simple guide - recent superdetail hornby locos have pickups on all driving wheels and tender as well. Older ones you can add pickups. More detail can be found in the spec sheets available from Hornby website.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

My understanding is that there's a CV setting in sound decoders to avoid this very problem and not go through the startup after every momentary loss of power. Not actually owning any I can't be more specific.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq