VAT rate change

With the V.A.T. rate going back to 17.5% in January, I wonder whether the stores that never passed the reduction on, will still keep their prices the same.

Hozz

Reply to
Hozz

"Hozz" wrote

If you'd any idea of the number of items which a typical model shop carries in stock you will appreciate why re-pricing was not done automatically when VAT was reduced, and consequently it's highly unlikely that the reverse will take place.

Clearly when new stock arrives it will be priced to incorporate 17½% VAT, just like stock arriving in the past twelve months has been priced with VAT at the lower rate.

John,

53A Models, Hull.
Reply to
John Turner

Our glorious leaders have allowed a whole four weeks for the change this time - instead of two weeks with no notice. But no money to pay staff to do the work and materials (and IT for those who can't do it themselves) of course......

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

In article , John Turner writes

I believe the smart shops did not re-price the stock, but simply gave the appropriate discount (2.13%, not 2.5%) at the till. Then all they need to do is stop giving it on 1 January.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

That's what O2 have done on PAYG.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I expect the smart shops weren't listening to customers too carefully - "the B*^%$£%^s haven't change the VAT rate, bloody con men" etc etc. Hence the very widely help belief amongst the public that shops didn't pass on the VAT rate drop, but will add the increase. The the smart shops have done the retail trade no favours at all.

You can put up all the signs you like, but people only really take notice of the price on the box (or bag etc) - even if it is incorrect.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

That's what Games Workshop do, I think. As far as their physical stores go, everything in there has had letter price codes for years so when the inevitable price increases happen all they have to do is change a few cards that show what price the codes are rather than relabelling everything.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell