Warley?

Possibly a bit early, but I believe there is a big model railway show at the NEC in Birmingham in December.

Could someone who has details please post a link to a website that covers it as I'd like to go this year?

Reply to
Brian Watson

all the details

Reply to
Mike

Correct

HTH :-)

Reply to
Mike K

Fantastic, The event to end all events, the Warley mega crush.

Don't think I'll bother to take any money this year as the chances of getting anywhere near the sales stands without being pushed, shoved, barged or stamped on is highly unlikely. Still good for the industry and don't even think about it with children.

So can't wait to see all the old farts desperate to get a bargain and full of festive cheer.

No more Mr nice guy!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

You may find that it quieter on the Sunday. I'm going becuase I want learn something about doing stuff in EM gauge. Hoping to get round to the Inter City models stand to see their new Fasttrack system.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Hear Hear!!

Reply to
Nick Palette

I've been going on the Sunday for the last seven years and find that the event quietens down a lot during the afternoon, so comfortable viewing of layouts *is* possible! As for sales stands, a little patience and perseverence always pays off, especially last year when I managed to buy a few hundred quids worth of new models (including Hornby 50s and Heljan 47s and a 35) during the Sunday afternoon!

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Have you joined the EM Gauge Society?

essential for anyone contemplating EM gauge, or P4 for that matter. The society supports both.

I suspect I won't go to Warley this year, for the first time in ages, because I'm fed up with being pushed and shoved on the Saturday, the lack of trains on the Sunday (real trains, not models!), and the permanent roadworks on the M42 both days! I don't know what it is about the Warley show, but courtesy seems to go out the window. When you do get to the front of a trade stand, and complete your purchase, you can't get out again because people are frightened that if they move, someone else will beat them to it. Scaleforum last weekend was much more civilised, even if I seemed to be about 30 years below the average age!

Whilst on about shows, Railex Taunton the weekend after next is well worth travelling to.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Thank you.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

Well said Matt it;s like a cattle market except we are the cattle.

The best part of the day is to get to the Bachmann stand at 10.15 am on the Saturday and watch the Bun fight 3 to 4 deep on the Bachmann stand cash in one sweaty hand and a Bachmann Loco in the other all of them trying to through the cash at the Bachmann staff. :o))

When the Advanced tickets went in at 9 30am 1/2 an hour before the main rush at 10 am I saw 3 near "punch ups" start, it;s worth the £8.50 to see grown men acting like Idiots oh yes don't forget the parking at I think it was £6.50 .

No sorry not for me !!!! I have been going for 4 years now and last year was the last!!!!

All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys

£6.50?!?

Most events there park free.

Cheaper to park one station away and arrive by rail if that is so.

Reply to
Brian Watson

On or about 2004-09-30, Brian Watson illuminated us with:

Hi Brian!

I seriously doubt that. Parking has been paid and similarly expensive at all the Warley shows I've been to there. I've not been to many other events there, but (except for exhibitors) I'm sure parking has long been charged at the NEC. Exhibitors' parking is of course normally rolled into the fee they pay. Possibly there are some exhibitions which pay the NEC more to allow free parking, but I've not heard of that.

That sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Mark Ayliffe

How do you manage that? I have *always* had to pay the NEC's exhorbitant parking charges. The event is irrelevant as far as I can see - you have to get a ticket separately from the event you're attending.

Useful to know. More details and directions please! (in case I do go at the last minute!)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Mark.

Gardener's World - free.

Intl Spring Gift Fair - free

Intl Autumn Gift Fair - free

GLEE - a show for the garden trade - free.

Then they are taking the piss BIG TIME.

I'm good at good ideas ... sometimes.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Marston Green and Hampden In Arden are each one stop away from Birmingham International rail station.

I wonder how much parking is at *any* of the three?

If it's cheap to park at Birmingham Intl itself, one could just walk up and over the bridge to the NEC.......

Reply to
Brian Watson

From Birmingham Airport's site:

"The long stay surface car parks have a much simpler pricing system." (than the Short Stay ones) "The cost is £5.30 for any time up to four hours, making it more cost-effective than stays at the short stay car park of longer than two hours. For stays of over 4 hours and up to 24 hours, the cost is £6.90, which is a major difference from the short stay car park. For each day over 24 hours, the cost is £6.90 per day.

Not much good ... but .... from the second table down in

it says that parking at Hampton in Arden (130 spaces) and Marston Green (95 spaces) is FREE.

Arrive early, buy a day return rail ticket to Birminham Intl just one stop away, and Robert's your father's brother.

Reply to
Brian Watson

This is on the Warley Web site

on the bottom of there Exhibition page

Quote ("Note that car parking will be charged by the NEC at their standard rate, currently £7 per car - a free shuttle bus runs to/from the car parks.") unquote

I see it has gone up 50p to £7.00 per car

And yes Brian in your words (Then they are taking the piss BIG TIME.)

All the best lads Steve

.

Reply to
The Parkys

In that case it would be a little cheaper to park at the Birmingham Intl rail station and walk over the bridge into the NEC.

Any idea which hall it's to be held in?

Reply to
Brian Watson

Extortionate parking fees? Where in a major city could you park for £6.50/day which includes a shuttle bus to the exhibition? Park at the station for £5 and walk.

Peter Bridge

Reply to
BridgeP

Hi Peter.

("Extortionate parking fees? Where in a major city could you park for £6.50/day)"

It,s not in the city it's on its own purpose-built site!!!

It's not £6.50 it's now £7.00 and as for the shuttle bus to the exhibition it is Quicker to walk, (HA HA ) but you are still not going to get me there this year !!

All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys