When did the 8F balanced star...

....appear?

Hi - does anyone know when the star on the cabside of the 8fs appeared to denote that they were balanced for better high speed running?

Also are there any plans to release a weathered BR 8f at some time? I 'spose there is, but when? Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Martin Livingstone

The message from "Martin Livingstone" contains these words:

1958.

(Source: Stanier 8Fs at Work. A.Wilkinson Ian Allan)

Reply to
David Jackson

Thanks Dave and thanks for the reference - is that a good book as in lots of North West pictures and what marks out of 10 would you give it?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Livingstone

The message from "Martin Livingstone" contains these words:

Plans, line drawings, differences within the class, testing (1948 exchanges, etc.), drivers comments, and about 30 pages of photos of 8Fs in action.

As far as NW photos are concerned, the usual classics are there, but I'd only give it 7 out of 10 from that point of view. It rates a good 9 from a loco-modellers point of view, but if you want the NW scene you need books by Eric Treacy, Colin Gifford, Derek Huntriss, Derek Cross, etc. I've found Colin Gifford's books - Decline of Steam, Each a Glimpse, and Gone Forever - very useful for railway details. There's one shot which shows a bin wagon driving down an entry while an 8F starts a long coal train in the middle distance...but then I work in N so those details are more important (to me) than the number of rivets on a King's front bogie.

Reply to
David Jackson

Any phots of a super D???????? :-)

Mick (I've plenty of phots of a Class 60...)

Reply to
Mick Bryan

The message from "Mick Bryan" contains these words:

Who said that????

Erm, er, not yet...

Bog off! ;-)

Reply to