WTB: Airfix WW1 Tank

I submit that on or about Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:10:41 +0100, the person known to the court as "Enzo Matrix" made a statement ( in Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

to have them. I dimly recall there being articles in the modelling mags on how to turn your Airfix Mk1 into a MkII or other variant; sadly I just gave away all my old copies of Military Modelling and Airfix magazine so I'll never know for sure...

Guy

--

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I don't know if the Emhar tank models are produced with the tail steering wheels, but if the tanks on your waggons are going for preservation, forget about the tail wheels, I doubt whether any were ever preserved with these wheels. Also, don't worry about what Marks the models are, with the gun sponsons off, few would know the differences. I doubt whether commercial models of the 'Tadpoles', gun carriers and supply tanks are available in appropriate scale. Steve, if you get in touch with me, I can offer you a good selection of WW II Axis armour etc. in 1:76 scale, these could be captured vehicles on the way for examination somewhere. Regards, Bill.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

claims to have them. I dimly recall there being articles in the

Reply to
William Pearce

Check out Ebay item 7354663516 !

Reply to
John Rampling

As promised, some photos of my model. It's not yet complete, and now that I have better references thanks to Les Pickstock, it will probably be reworked to make it more accurate. Until then, it'll provide a splash of colour on my workbench.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

very interesting Mark - I am wondering if this its going to get seriously beaten up from this point or are you intending to leave it in pristine condition?

and is that a Mac your model is sitting on?

Finally, what camera is it that you used?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

What is that splendid camoflage scheme called?

R.

Reply to
Richard

Grubby and battered.

Yes, a mildly jazzed-up G3 iMac.

Olympus D-540. A cheap and cheerful PHD* camera.

All the best,

Mark.

*Press Here, Dummy.
Reply to
mark_newton

I don't know if it even had a name, Richard. I was working from a watercolour illustration held in the archive of the Australian War Memorial. It was one of a series drawn by an Australian war artist at the battle of Villers-Bretoneaux, IIRC.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Leaf-peeping in Vermont

Reply to
Steve Caple

Dazzle camouflage?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Thanks again Mark. If you want to take some more pics of it with a single, light coloured background and have some battle scenes, I'd be happy to put the two together for you. I did one for a chap the other day which had fair results though it was a quickie. Let me know if you'd like to see it and I will email it to you

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

In re tank camouflage, according to Osprey New Vanguard 100 'British Mk.I Tank 1916' a complex scheme was worked out by a Colonel Solomon R.E. and the Mk.Is were painted in this scheme before being sent to France. However, after a time in the field, most of the camouflage was obliterated by mud splashes, so it was given up and the std. khaki was used. No doubt other drab colours could have been applied from time to time in the field. Photos exist of one colour Mk.Is with camouflaged sponsons in France, the sponsons probably got as replacement from a camo'd tank. Regards, Bill.

"John Rampling" wrote in message news:W5z0f.13971$O%. snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
William Pearce

AKA Razzle-dazzle, formally known as Disruption camoflage. Very popular with the navy during Big Mistake One (the basic patterns were designed by leading cubist and vorticist artists - really) from whence it crept into army use as well (tank development had begun as a Naval project of course). Problem with dazzle schemes is that they lose effectiveness pretty quickly as they weather.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Paul Nash was amongst the artists involved, I believe- he later became an official War Artist during WW2. I believe that in WW2, a lot of the camoflage and disguise techniques originated with a magician and illusionist by name of Maskleyne (sp?), who was related to an editor of Model Railway News. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

There is a 9.2-inch Howitzer in the Imperial War Museum in dazzle colours. I assume they'll have it painted "correctly", and it is quite startling.

Though some people (well, at least one) think his role has grown with the telling:

Arthur Figgis