4130 tubing as filler?

Googling around for sources of scrap 4130 I found the following statement: "Call me a butcher, but I'd use scrap 4130 as filler. It's usually easier than finding the correct rod" -

Is this idea more trouble than it's worth? I'm assuming he makes 1/8" strips from tubing - Mike

Reply to
mhorowit

Go to

Buy ER80S-B2. It is the best TIG filler rod for 4130.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Short answer yes with a provision; if this involves any code, injury from failure then the answer is no. Welding rods have additives such as deoxidizers that are required for a sound weld. Just found this pdf that may be of interest to the group

John Noon

Yes, its more trouble than its worth. S2 or S6 rod is just fine.

Reply to
John T