a 220 elct question

Sorry folks for being dumb

I been reading on this newsgroup and the other working groups about running

220 verses 110. Does that mean I would have to have a 220 t-saw to run 220 or can I run my 110 t-saw on 220? does 110 convert in the breaker box (fuse Panel) too 220?

I will be building a 30 X 40ish dog house for my playpen for an escape from the real world in the spring and I know I will have 220 for my mig welder because it is a 220 plug... and also 20 amp 110 plugs all over or can I do better?

Sorry this is the deepest I know on elect.

I do want to run everything as efficient as I can and get the most power I can with out popping breakers or running sluggish.

Please tell me what I do not know if you have to time.

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

"Don D." (clip) Does that mean I would have to have a 220 t-saw to run 220 or can I run my 110 t-saw on 220? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All residential wiring I know of is 220 volts (Actually 230to 240). Inside the breaker box, this is divided into a pair of 120 volt branches with a neutral (loosely speaking, a ground.)

If your saw is wired for 220, you can run it off the dryer circuit, or run a dedicated 220 volt circuit to the saw. It is also possible that the saw motor can be changed to 120 by moving a couple of connections inside the motor. The instructions for this are usually given on the inside of the terminal cover plate. If the saw has lots of HP, you may find that it draws too much current to run on your existing wiring when you try to run it on

120.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The saw is 110v 15 amp universal motor 4.4 hp max. I am thinking of the future if I would need to rewire or leave it. The saw is a craftsman 10" job site (Sears Catalog # 0921830N) Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

I doubt very much that this saw has an option to rewire it to 220V. There is no improvement in power to be gained by running a saw from 220V instead of

120V if the supply wire is adequately sized. Billh
Reply to
billh