A blacksmith question?

--Here's the thing: I've got a small insert-type fireplace; too small to have a grate. So operating it long-term means I build a fire, keep it going a few days, then I have to let it die out so's I can scoop out a few inches of ash without giant hunks of smoldering embers that would otherwise continue burning in the ash can (unsafe, yes?). So what's needed is an 'ember sifter': something that could be shoved into the ashes, lifted up, separating embers from ash. I've never seen one; anyone seen something like this? --And yes, I made one last night; it seems to work; i.e. the big embers are caught and the little ones that burn out quickly fall thru with the ash. I used 3/16" rods, about 9" long and using a 3/8" spacer I tigged ten of them to a bit of 1/2" square tube. After that I added a handle and gave it a go. Will take a photo one of these days, but you get the idea.

Reply to
steamer

sounds like a nice idea, i usually manually sift the ashes and use lumps of charcoal in the next fire but its not a clean process especially when i run my fire as warm as i do I made a little grate out of 1/4" steel on the last day of my original welding class. Its now shrunk enough and been heated hot enough that its annealed tot he point of bending in my hand.

Nice little project hope to see pictures soon.

Brent

Reply to
Brent

You guys got my mind to thinking. I bet you shovel the ashes into some metal container to carry them outside for disposal. Why not make a sifting screen out of expanded metal (it has thediamond shaped openings) that fits over the ash bucket? Whatever is too big goes back into the firebox.

I also thought of a shovel made out of the same expanded metal to sift the ashes with. I guess you would have to move them all to one side in the box and then as you sift you could put the coals on the empty side of the box then shovel the ashes into the pail.

More ideas to solve the same problem never hurt.

Reply to
Kerry

--Yeah; shoulda mentioned: part of the problem is the can I'm using to store the ash until it cools. I've managed to salvage two of those big Xmas-sized popcorn cans. They're free and SWMBO likes the paintjobs on 'em. The downside: no handle on the lid and no wire to lift the bucket. More rainy day projects, eh? :-)

Reply to
steamer

My Goodness...I was thinking you at least had a 3 gallon pail to carry the hot ashes in until you got outside to the 25 gallon metal trash can. We gotta get you boys equipped! RBG

The popcorn tins work fine I am sure. I am lucky enough to have the larger Dutchwest stove by Vermont Castings. It has a grate and a handy ash tray catcher under it. I use my old pair of welding gloves to carry the hot tray outside to a metal trash can. Each year a new pair of welding gloves appear under the Christmas tree.

I bet a bit of coat hanger wire and 2 holes in the popcorn tin could at least get you a handle.

Reply to
Kerry

Steamer -

Think 20 gallon Grease can - handle on each side. Just don't fill it full.

My metal can is the bottom of an old junker Sears vac from the 60's. A 5MB Hard disk that came from DG years ago provides the perfect cover. I have another somewhere or did - as a spare - but 20 years service - the heavy plastic is still snuffing out hot coals. I have burnt the paint on the side, but I use welding gloves - the cheap ones - for the fires.

Mart> --Yeah; shoulda mentioned: part of the problem is the can I'm using

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn