Advice needed

I need to extend a 1/2" x 3" ripper claw. My guess is to just cut it, bevel the two joints, and run 018 in it. Build it up, then grind it down so it can fit in its slot. My questions is: After I weld it, should I put it in the barbecue for an hour or so at high heat, gradually reducing the heat so I can get some better properties out of the weld and it won't be as soft?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Why do you want to make the weld weaker? As welded the weld will be a bit harder than the parent metal. Normally this is not a problem.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. I wasn't sure to keep it hot or let it cool off right after welding.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Keeping it hot and cooling slowly would anneal the weld, making it less brittle on one hand, but more ductile on the other. It's a trade-off: Do you want the increased KSI, with possibility of brittle fracture, or less KSI, with possibility of bending?

It all depends on what the function is to be.

If the part shatters, will it damage more of the machine? If the part bends, will it do more damage?

Reply to
TinLizziedl