Alumalloy

Has anyone tried Alumalloy. They have this infomercial on TV and it sure looks too good to be true. At $45.00 a pound I figure I should try and get some input first. Thanks.

Reply to
Electric-Sun

You can buy the same stuff at harbor frieght for about $7 for a 2lb. tube. It is a low temp zinc/aluminum alloy. Useful for simple non-critical things, but not very strong.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Do you think it would it work as well as Marine-Tex epoxy for repairing an old aluminum rowboat? Small leaks around rivets and such?

Reply to
ATP*

Reply to
Glenn

I would be more inclined to give it a coat of elastomeric paint.

DanG

Why not repair it properly? Tighten the rivets or replace them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

You may not have been amused with the magnesium, but I bet the neighbors were when the firework and war dance show started :)

Reply to
Rusted

Almost as amused as I was when the neighbor turned the hose on it to put it out :)

Reply to
Glenn

It's more like the aluminum has deteriorated around the rivets- although I didn't consider larger, new rivets. This is a boat I rescued from the scrapyard.

Reply to
ATP*

I may do that, I have about 200 gallons of elastomeric roof coating.

Reply to
ATP*

Canadian Tire used to sell thermoplastic sticks (bright green!) just like poly ski base candles, made for melting onto leaky rivets on aluminum boats. They work reasonably well, are flexible and stick really well if you sand or scrub the oxide off with a stainless brush first.

My sister and I tightened the rivets on our old Thornes skiff by my peening the rivets on one side while she bucked the other side with a heavy weight.

My new welded skiff has the transom corner worn out by dragging on the beach so it has a fiberglass patch on it now until I get myself an alumimum welding rig.

- Graham

Reply to
Graham Parkinson