Argon -V- Argon Mix for MIG Welding

Being just a hobby welder I can't afford to keep bottles of Aron (for the TIG) and Argon mix for the MIG on hand at all times. I understand that the mix wouldn't work for the TIG, but if it just kept the pure Argon, how would this work on the MIG, doing mainly 1-2mm mild steel? Appreciate your comments. John Allen New Zealand

Reply to
John Allen

John Allen

Just lousy, and the metal has to be extremely clean. Any rust , dirt or oil will screw it up.

The CO2 in the welding mix helps burn off any contaminants.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
John Allen