automatic penetration detection with sensor and control loop

Too tired to follow this up, but there was work at Brunel University in the 1990's using an ultrasonic beam shining under/through the melt pool under tungten electrode (a TIG torch) and telling the torch traverse what to do - including backstep to melt out penetration defects.
Richard Smith
Reply to
Richard Smith
This seems to good to be true. Have a look at

Ultra-high quality welds can be produced even by your mother-in-law!
Reply to
Arnold Boer
This system doesn't need backstep. It just regulates the current realtime, without the use of ultrasonic beams, camera's or whatever!
Richard Smith wrote:
Reply to
Arnold Boer
True - but these guys were doing research - they could and did backstep, but I am sure they must have tried current control also.
Richard Smith
Reply to
Richard Smith
My technical dutch is a bit rusty, but this appears to be exclusive to orbital or robotic welding. Nothing my mother in law does.
Reply to
jerry_tig2003