Big A**ed chomper

I have about six tons of "Windsor Wall" blocks, plus a few tons of pavers I have to set. The "Windsor Wall" blocks are about 12" wide, 6" deep and 6" tall. There is a lip on one edge so one can stack them, and they form a receedin taperedg wall. The pavers are about 6" x 8" x 2".

I need to cut a lot of them, either to make them fit, or cut into halves.

I cut a couple with a diamond blade on a Skil M77 saw, and they did good, just a ton of dust, and a lot of time. Plus, blades are $20 per.

I can make a hydraulic press (I'm a welder) that will chomp these between two blades, but first I would score a line on each side about 1/8" deep. I have seen blocks and bricks cut with a wide mason's chisel, and done a few myself. It works good if you have a line scored, and make a good solid hit with a large hammer.

Has anyone had any experience with "chomping" these blocks/pavers between two sharpened steel edges using massive hydraulic pressure to achieve cutting force?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Use a diamond blade for wet cutting and add water from a garden hose while cutting. No dust. Blades give good life.

Reply to
Pat

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Here's an existing design for ideas

I think I'd just lay all the full blocks and then rent one for a half day to do all the cuts at once. Unless you intend to use the tool again in the future there seems to be litte point in making one. Except if you just want to build it for the sake of building it, been there, done that.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

That is pretty much the simplest and diamond blades sure are cheaper than they used to be for those diameters. Be easy on that saw as I either overused it in a rural area with low power or it just had an armature go bad and they changed the design and mailed it back instead of repaired it.

A real mason saw has the blade perhaps twelve inch diameter on an arm which goes down with pressure on a foot pedal and the table you put the block on goes forth and back over a pan to direct the water to a drain. If you want a welding project you could re design a junk table saw to copy that. I am not sure if the larger blades have had the price drop of the small seven and eight ones had.

Are you in Mass? I forget where folks are, I bought a real mason saw like I mentioned at auction once and have the motor and blade holder under cover and the rest outside, no blade. I don't want to sell it but I wouldn't mind loaning it out if it came back with a blade.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

I'm in Utah. Thanks anyway. Please see my post of a picture of one I built today. It works GREAT!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B