brazing to chrome plate

A friend wants to repair pits in chromed motorcycle fork legs.
At first I thought his suggesion to try to fill the pits (better seal
life) by brazing was doomed to failure. First I figured the heat
would tend to murder the chrome>steel "bond", and second I was not at
all sure brazing allow would "stick" to chrome, nevermind the pits
seem to be holes in the chrome with rusty steel at the bottom.
Then I saw these brazing rods at the Aubuchon website. They
specificaly mention chrome plate.

The Bernzomatic site does NOT mention chrome plate.
Anybody any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dan T
Reply to
djtcz
Best way is to use epoxy glue; JB weld, araldite or something like that.
Reply to
mb
I can't imagine brazing to chrome plating. I'll be watching what the experts have to say on this one. Hey Ernie..........
Lane
Reply to
Lane
Brazing temps would be too high for the plating to stay on. Soldering can work at lower temps.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
I prefer brazing to repair thin chrome plated parts that have fatigue cracked. The braze flows around the crack and the associated work hardened area. But filling pits? The braze will just give you some braze bead that sits on the top of the work piece, do you plan to buff off all but the material in the pit?
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:
Roy J