carbon arc torches

I read in my manual the came with my lincoln ac buzzbox about welding aluminum using carbon arc torch and aluminum rods. Looked kinda like gas welding to me , I am just an amatuer at best. My question is this, do arc torches work with ac welders or only dc or both? Are these things still available and if so are they expensive to use? I cannot afford a wire feed unit with a shield gas setup so I am hoping the arc torch thing is a viable , affordable alternative. Thanks in advance for any and all responces. MLM

Reply to
JohnQ.Public

Buy some aluminum arc welding rod. Works fine.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I have an old Sears Carbon Arc Welder that I would like to use to braze bandsaw blades. I have been unable to find welding carbons. My last try was having the local hardware store order them from Fornier but I was told they have been discontinued.

If anybody has a source for welding carbons I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanx, Chuck U&R

Reply to
Chuck U&R