chain saw welding

I have a cracked crankcase on my husqvarna 371 chainsaw. Looks to be a cast aluminum of some sort. It isn't under much is any pressure during
operation. Do you gurus think its weldable with a MIG setup (aluminum wire, pure argon)? Thanks
John
Here I was all set for something truly weird, some combination of forge welding, explosive joining, all done with chainsaws.
Steve
Doctor John wrote:

It's unlikely that MIG will do a good job. Cracks are always full of oil to contaminate the weld plus you have no idea what alloy is in there. Or it could be magnesium.
Doctor John wrote:

If you need a new one I built an engine from a Suzuki Hyabusa for a "Hot-saw" The thing was built to attach 40" bar, the teeth look like they came from a shark... It's a 1600 CC Turbocharged nitromethane burning engine. The guy never finished it. I saw video's of saw competitions and they are insane.... Back to your question, I have had good luck with that HTS2000 rod with MAPP on cast parts. I could send you a rod if you wind up in a corner. Stuff works miracles. I have yet to be disappointed with it. The Suzuki may be a "little" overkill but I can't sell the thing to save my life and I'm short on space.
Respects,
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

RDF wrote:

That engine would make an impressive bike, I don't think I want it on *my* chainsaw though..
What's the limit on chainsaws? Does it have to be something the guy can pick up and use without hoist, or what?
I saw some guys years ago with hot saws, they were modified stock saws, very cool.. had some impressive expansion chambers, probably 26" long.
To the OP- call the Husq. dealer, he can likely tell you what alloy you're dealing with. I'd guess it's aluminum, based on the fact mine is pretty heavy considering all the plastic on it.
John

I have a .Mpg video with a couple of guys with a v8 Chevy saw, no shit. I just E-mailed it to you, it's wild they go from a regular hot saw (well, regular is not even close but.....) This has to be seen to believe.
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Can you send me the video please? Use bmohar-_AT_-gmail.com
Regards,
Boris Mohar
Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Check your E-mail and enjoy,
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Thanks. That's insane.
Regards,
Boris Mohar
Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Ooh.. ooh.. ooh.. me too please!
Thanks,
Peter pgrey (at) earthlink.net

I have a copy of the video, the first two guys have what looks like a Harley twin cylinder, the next two guys have the Chevy V-8. Drops through a 16" log in less than 2 seconds. Of course, the two guys that flip a full chevy V-8 around like it's no big deal are fairly strudy characters.
RDF wrote:

RoyJ wrote:

Yeah, I suppose if you were going to cut a load of wood with the thing you'd want to use the aluminum block V-8..
That's pretty nutty stuff, the Stihl they compare it to in the split screen is doing an impressive job, someone dialed that saw well.
John

| RoyJ wrote: | > I have a copy of the video, the first two guys have what looks like a | > Harley twin cylinder, the next two guys have the Chevy V-8. Drops | > through a 16" log in less than 2 seconds. Of course, the two guys that | > flip a full chevy V-8 around like it's no big deal are fairly strudy | > characters. | | Yeah, I suppose if you were going to cut a load of wood with the thing | you'd want to use the aluminum block V-8..
The BOP/Rover block weighs around 320 pounds or so, IIRC. I do seem to recall that it has been used for chainsaws, seeing as how the power to weight ratio is so good. I've also seen VW motors used. Whatever your favorite motor is I'm sure will do just fine for extreme chainsaws.
You just gotta know the guys who build them fully are out to have some serious fun. I am Hoping Richard Smith posts the video I sent him. It's out there.... I would just not want to be around if it pitched the chain. No way you could survive. I thought a 5.23sec pass was cool.... This seems right up there!
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:16:10 -0500, RDF wrote:

Is this the video you're talking about?
http://www.kinveredge.org.uk/movies/V8ChainSaw.avi
Hi Rob, everyone
Here it is. Link page to ultimatechainsaw.asf - a 1.6MB video clip.
As per exhortations on the page itself, please conserve my bandwidth by making a local copy. You are likely to watch this on more than one occasion!
http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/misc/ultimatechainsaw/ultimatechainsaw.html
Makes me miss being in America. I was so happy working amongst people who liked to do things properly.
Artemia Salina's following post - V8ChainSaw.avi is one and the same file - but it is "misnamed" - my Quicktime player couldn't open it. Renamed it to "V8ChainSaw.asf" and the Windows Media Player lept up and showed to to be the same piece of movie footage. That's at http://www.kinveredge.org.uk/movies/V8ChainSaw.avi
Regards
Richard Smith

Thanks Richard! Much appreciated!
Rob
If I could only remember the root password to my web-server I'd like to redo it but it hosts my POP3 and SQL server so I'd need a full rebuild, So not cool... Gotta love Solaris 8.
Thanks again!
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

There is no way in text to describe that- would you agree? I felt *normal* after seeing those maniacs with that thing.
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Are you referring to the saw, the engine, or the muscles?? :)

After thinking about it, all of the above apply...