Chop saw supports, feeders, and wings

I have used chop saws since 1980. At that time, I saw that it was a good idea to make a base for the saw, and then a feeder rack and a drop rack. I made them of tubing, and they looked like ladders on both sides of the saw. For longer pieces, I had the adjustable T stands to catch longer drops and support heavier pieces. The two ladders were about six feet long apiece. They fit on the stand with the male/female bat wings you buy at ornamental metal suppliers. They had adjustable supports under them on the other end, and I could take them out on the driveway or concrete and come up with a fairly straight (not always level) surface to get decent cuts.

Now, a friend of mine brought me a double sized milk box full of those conveyor rollers, and I'm going to build a ladder shaped feeder and drop for my band saw. It's a lot easier when things roll over the ladder rungs than have to be drug over them, but the solid rungs work okay. It will be a three piece affair with the band saw, and I'm not sure if I will put any connectors to join the three together. This will allow me to move them all around when I don't have a regular ninety degree cut. In the past, too, I have had racks directly over the saw and ladder/T stands so that I could just bring one piece directly down onto the feeder, and roll it through the saw.

My point is, you CAN make a system that is in modular pieces, and move it in and out for when you need it. If you have the luxury of space, and can mount it permanently, that is good, too, but then again, you need to have the saw on some sort of swivel configuration to do miter cuts. When you make it in modules, you can take it apart, and stack the wings like ladders, and the supports too, and economize space. Plus, these will just be painted tubing, so you might even be able to leave them out in the weather, or under a cover or tarp, and not have them go all to hell. You'll just bring in the saw and measuring devices and clamps. The rest can sit where you have room. I did that for a long time, and found it to be a workable system. Take it out when you need it, stash it when you don't, or just let it sit where it is for a while.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB